Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have fish who are always constipated. They spit out pellets even when I make them SUPER tiny! I'm afraid to invest in Omega one pellets because if they spit them out, it was a waste of money. But Omega One has healthy flakes too, but I hear flakes make them constipated. Either I buy pellets and they spit them out, or I buy flakes and they get even more constipated :roll:
I don't want this to be the case!!

Trying to cure constipation, on a limited budget. So, do even omega one flakes cause constipation even though they are healthy?

Thank ya!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You are better off with a pellet. I think you should try Omega One Color Micro or Micro Marine pellets. They are super tiny and good for fish with digestive issues. And they float.

You can also try soaking the pellets in garlic juice to make them more appealing.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Of the flakes on the market, Omega One are some of the better out there. Some people have very strong feelings on flakes, but my thoughts are that if fed *properly* that a high-quality flake is fine.

The problem is it's hard to describe how to feed properly. It's REALLY easy to overfeed with flakes, as a "pinch" means different things for different people. I use Omega One pellets as my staple, but I have flakes and I use them for some fish in some circumstances. My girl right now is getting flakes - because she's been puking up her pellet after some wormy issues (it's not a "picky eater" issue - she normally goes after pellets with vengeance). It's also something I've used for fish that have come to me emaciated, or with mouths too small to eat a pellet. In each case I end up transitioning back to pellets - because it's my preferred food.

If your fish has an existing constipation issue though, I'd honestly address that first. Try fasting for 3-5 days, then introduce a bit of food. If you can get it, frozen daphnia would be a great option to try after the fasting. It sometimes works as a mild laxative. If the constipation is severe, you can try an epsom salt treatment for up to 10 days. 1tsp per gallon, dissolve before adding to the tank and then add slowly over the course of an hour. Be aware though - that if you're using epsom salt you can't use aquarium salt at the same time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@greenapp1es Thank you! I never feed my fish a "pinch" of pellets. Its way too much! I wold usually feed 1-2 pellets a day. Do you think that would be good?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You have fish that are always constipated and spiting out pellets? How are they housed? Are you sure it's constipation and not a parasite? When was the last time they pooped and what did it look like? Was it normal or white & stringy? Any loss of color?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@mikeg14 Two of mine are in a ten gal divided, and one is in a one gal (She never gets constipated) And Petunia (the constipated one) lives in a 2.5. Its mostly Petunia that gets constipated. I haven't noticed any weird poop from the girls lately, and they are full of color!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts