Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My juvie is growing up!
Her horizontal stripes are still there though (until I flare her, then she gets vertical bars). I'm pretty sure she isn't stressed at all, will these stripes be permanent? or will they fade over time?

This is what she looks like when flared.

Otherwise she kind of looks like this normally, except with the horizontal stripes being more prominent. (couldn't take a picture without bringing the lamp over, which makes her turn darker...)

Sorry for all the posts about her, LOL too many curiosities!

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
The Horizontal Stripes will go away over time.
Make sure they stay Horizontal when she has Stripes. Not Vertical.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Vertical stripes are not a cause for concern, Lebron.

To be honest, I think it depends on the fish, Aokashi. All of my girls were pale and stripy when I got them; all coloured up within a week, gaining full colour within a month. All except Circe, who remains determinedly stripy. Sometimes I'll catch her being all dark and not-stripy, but 99% of the time, she looks like she's stressed off her head, which I know she isn't.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've observed that vertical stripes seem to mean that the female is feeling aggressive or is ready to breed. I've watched one of my sorority girls go from deep horizontal stripes while being chased, to vertical while chasing someone else, all within a minute.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
They should go away. Some of my females were exceptionally skittish and it took a little longer for them to settle in, but once they were comfortable I never saw stress stripes on them again :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts