Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
There is really no such thing as "too much live plants" for a betta. How much water does that vase hold? Ideally, you want a minimum of 2.5 gallons for one betta. Less than that, with no filter, and you'll end up doing daily water changes. Is the bowl heated? They thrive in warmer waters, if he's cold, he's going to be inactive. Also, your "lucky bamboo" (Dracaena braunii) is not a true aquatic and will rot and make your water a mess.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The vase seems like a pretty good size, considering how the size ratio is compared to the betta. But I do agree that you do need a heater and (highly reccomended) filter. The amount of plants seem perfect to me :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
He really is beautiful though, I don't mean to offend by criticizing your set up, just trying to help so that you have a healthy fish :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GET THIS!!!!! when i bought my betta, the shop girl said oh you want cold water fish? yeah here are the bettas.. >:/
But after coming home and doing way more research i bought a heater the next day and so yes i have a heater for 20 W :) its preset for bettas so turns on and off automatically!

THANK YOU!!! i had no idea about the bamboo ill take that out today.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Most of the plants you have in there will not last long at all the way you have them planted all jammed together like that. As well with im guessing no fertilization or proper lighting they will simply turn that small vase into a brew of amonia for the fish as they die.
Pink and red plants are a lot more difficult to care for.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
There is no such thing as too many plants. However I will say bettas (and every other fish) prefer long horizontal tanks over narrow tall tanks (more back and worth swim room not up and down).
BTW your lucky bamboo is NOT aquatic, pull it out completely or move it to all leaves are above water (only thick stock is in water).

·
Registered
500 Posts
GET THIS!!!!! when i bought my betta, the shop girl said oh you want cold water fish? yeah here are the bettas.. >:/
But after coming home and doing way more research i bought a heater the next day and so yes i have a heater for 20 W :) its preset for bettas so turns on and off automatically!

THANK YOU!!! i had no idea about the bamboo ill take that out today.
I've had even experienced fish keepers tell me that...sad how that rumor has become fact in pet stores.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ooh it looks so pretty! You have a nice tank. If you want a plant that bettas love to swim trough and play in, try an amazon sword. I've seen people that have these in their betta's tank, and they seem to enjoy them. The only thing I recommend is a shallower, wider tank. Bettas breathe from the surface, so it can be stressful to swim straight up to get air. Other than that, the tank is great! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts