Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put an Anubius onto a piece of driftwood, but I am not sure if I need nutrient-rich substrate for that or if I should just use regular aquarium gravel. I am very new to plants and this will be my first planted tank.

·
Super Moderator
688 Posts
You don‘t need any specific substrate.
As the Anubias sits on a piece of wood anyway you don‘t need to worry.
And even if it was close to the ground, regular gravel would be fine.
The plant will grow whitish/greeny roots after a while and tries to stick on to whatever you are offering. It‘s roots will eventually grow into the substrate but will still be happy with fertilization through waste and a weekly plant fertilizer you add to the tank water.

What are your plans to grow in your tank?
Planted tanks are great - and you‘ll figure out what thrives best in your tank.

Keep on asking if you think we could be of any help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your help!
I am planning on tying anubias and java fern to the drift wood and then adding some marimo moss balls around the tank to add some greenery without too much maintenance.
It is going to be a betta aquarium so I want it to be as natural as possible.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks so much for your help!
I am planning on tying anubias and java fern to the drift wood and then adding some marimo moss balls around the tank to add some greenery without too much maintenance.
It is going to be a betta aquarium so I want it to be as natural as possible.
You don’t need a plant substrate. But this is what I did. I got 1 bag added it to the bottom of the tank then but my gravel over top of it just in case I wanted to add more easy beginner plants later and I got hook on live plants after I started with the same things you mentioned and I have added several different plants. I’m a easy as possible person that looks good. So I have had some live and some die. So now I pretty much buy plants that they are running specials on online or just something that looks cool and needs no co2 and for beginners. Aquarium plant factory is my favorite place. You can get some good deals. I getting ready to order 8 plants and going to get 4 free and going to save about 150.00. So you can always get a plant substrate and it’s not going to hurt the fish if you never decide to get other plants. It all comes down to what you want to spend starting out. The only reason I’m saying this is because one of my betta tanks is I wish I would have started with a plant substrate and I didnt so I’m kinda limited on his tank right now until I decide to redo his whole tank and change it all and take out his gravel and add new stuff. just my regrets. Lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for sharing! I might just put in substrate then anyways. I read that you have to water change more at the beginning because of the nutrients being released from the substrate? Should I wait a couple of weeks before I add in my fish so the water is adjusted? I am using old filter media so it will cycle instantly. I am just worried about the nutrients from the substrate.
Thank you for your answer.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I have a code for Aquarium Plants Factory if you want to send me a message. It's for 10% off.

Plant substrates are great I've used a couple of types. My issue was nutrients deplete and after six month you have to add substrate fertilizers and Iron, anyway.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thank you for sharing! I might just put in substrate then anyways. I read that you have to water change more at the beginning because of the nutrients being released from the substrate? Should I wait a couple of weeks before I add in my fish so the water is adjusted? I am using old filter media so it will cycle instantly. I am just worried about the nutrients from the substrate.
I had new tanks and did fish in cycle so it’s up to you if you want to wait. The substrate I used had to be rinsed so I don’t know. I did water changes weekly on my tanks no mater the size of my tanks so I never had build ups. I don’t mind doing water changes so I guess I never think about it. I just did it until my tank cycled. Lol.

·
Registered
742 Posts
You’re not the first to say that. Lol
I just loves animals so when we had horses I didn’t mind cleaning the stalls because it had to be done, had parrots cleaned the cages same it had to be done, groomed dogs because you guess it. It had to be done same as fish tanks. Wow yep I am a weirdo. Lol I’m just getting older and I have to split up the tanks water changes in 2 separate days now.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I ordered my plants today. Can’t wait for them to get here. Got some good deals with the buy 2 get 1 free. cant wait for plant day. Woohoo

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I don't see why you should wait. Here's the Forum's tutorial on fish-in cycling CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

And a belated Welcome to the Forum!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts