Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't quite sure where to put this. So, in my efforts to save one of our bettas, I bought a moss ball. Anyway, he has since passed and I don't know what to do with the moss ball. I am hesitant to put it in with my other betta and cause any issues. Or, should I just keep the moss ball alone on its own? Sounds odd but.....then do I change the water?

Thanks for answering this crazy question!

·
Registered
901 Posts
I think in some places they are kept alone in tanks just like a pet. Many people name theirs :) No, Chicory's mossball is totally NOT named Beignet. He loves to take catnaps on it.

I'd do the quarantine as suggested and then let your other bettas play with it!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Moss balls are notorious disease-spreaders because they are known for harboring hitchhikers. I have also heard that they need a very high light or else their core tend to go bad. I say be safe and quarantine it for a few weeks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I know Marimo Moss balls may carry something, but quarantining and constant tap-water washes will help kill off any nasties. Since tapwater is chlorinated~

People in Japan keep them as pets since they are rumored to bring good luck and health. They don't require a lot of light, but need to be turned every week or so to prevent their bottoms from turning brown. :3 I like squeezing mine lightly while washing it! Stress relief for the win....(I call it Sir Fluffy-maddy-kins the first)

Though don't squeeze it too hard, just a gentle squeeze will work~ You can roll them in your hand while you wash, which is also fun.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
tap water contains chlorine, which if I am not mistaken MOST (if not all) parasites and diseases will die. Quarantine ensures this...

·
Registered
420 Posts
@ Perseusmom,

People have recommended that they be washed in a salt solution first. Don't use bleach. (yes I have read that someone have recommeded BLEACH). Rinse it in dechlorinated water and let it soak in a tank or bowl for a few days before adding it to the tank with fish.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yeah. Bleach and salt are both harmful to plants...it might help but it might hurt the Marimo :(

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I just go for tap water :3

Or if people are so worried about it, just don't get plants. :/

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Thanks Kenny and everyone will soak it for a week just to be on the safe side and change the water everyday. Wait not for water changes..lol...joking I love em and so does Perseus he swims right around where the tube goes in to drain the water and watches , he is so interested in what I am doing.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
:lol: just be careful xD one of my females thought she would nibble at the end of my gravel siphon tube and got sucked in :roll: she's fine, of course, but she still tries to do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Just tap water no salt or anything dont want to hurt the cute moss ball when I get one...also wants to get a small snail do they carry anything I need to worry about ?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Not that I know of. I've had pond snails... only problem, is if you overfeed whatever is in your tank the snail can reproduce.... and it is asexual :roll:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Got my moss balls today from ebay, 2 dollars for 1 so got 3 and shipping was 3.50 not to bad I think since most places want around 6 dollars for them. Got them in some water soaking and will change the water often for a week or so before adding to the tank.

·
Registered
901 Posts
This is obviously a sign I'm going around the bend, but I swear my moss ball looks lonely! (It's Chicory's favorite catnap spot, but he's been taken home for treatment of an icky)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.