Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at college and my roommate and friends make fun of me for actually taking care of my baby. I told them he was sick so I bought him betta meds and they look at me and say "Oh my God Maddy. It's just a fish just let it die". :evil: Like really? I love Daryl and have an extreme anxiety issue. Daryl helps me through the times of panic and loneliness. And people just laugh and say I am obsessed. :? However he is doing much better now and is swimming happily now. People just do not know how much personality fish can have. Just merpp....

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's strange that people are allowed to be extremely attached with their cats or dogs, but when it comes to fish, we get viewed as weird. It's shouldn't be different at all.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's strange that people are allowed to be extremely attached with their cats or dogs, but when it comes to fish, we get viewed as weird. It's shouldn't be different at all.
I know right? You can get just as attached to fish.. also can you guys help me on the emergency forums? my baby is sick and no one ever answers me.... :cry:

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Sadly there are a lot of people like that but I'd suspect those same people never truely bond with a pet dog either... I think my parents and inlaws think I'm a bit crazy for my planted Betta tanks but they just smile and say "oh that's nice." And keep it to themselves. My husband appreciates the fish (bettas and other fish we have) and never thought or said "it's just a fish".

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly there are a lot of people like that but I'd suspect those same people never truely bond with a pet dog either... I think my parents and inlaws think I'm a bit crazy for my planted Betta tanks but they just smile and say "oh that's nice." And keep it to themselves. My husband appreciates the fish (bettas and other fish we have) and never thought or said "it's just a fish".
Well at least they are not mean :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel you, I was telling some of my friends about my news bettas and how excited I am about them and got told that I have a problem :lol:
Pretty much. That sums it up lol people just don't understand because they don't take care of the correctly! They have so much personality!

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I get told I'm too obsessed and that I have a problem and get made fun of for having to euthanize one of my bettas last semester due to cancer.

I also get told often to just flush them all, move the tanks home and get new ones. And I mean flush them live. I always refuse but I get it a lot. My entire family thinks I'm insane because they are "just fish" except my little cousin who actually got a betta boy and has been taking really good care of him and she wanted him because I had fish. She actually asked me if she could have my least favorite fish. I couldn't give up any of my boys but we did buy her everything for christmas. Now her little Alex is very happy in a heated 2.5g tank.

I also have gotten crap about tank sizes when a new boy comes along or when one needed to be upgraded. "It's just a fish they can live in small bowls they don't need a lot of space" yeah actually they do.

I've just started replying to it with "They may be 'just a fish' to you but they are a whole lot more to me and I would appreciate it if you would accept that I enjoy keeping bettas and would like them to have proper homes." only to be replied with "In our day we just kept them in bowls without heaters and changed water like once a month and they did just fine. I just internally fume.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get told I'm too obsessed and that I have a problem and get made fun of for having to euthanize one of my bettas last semester due to cancer.

I also get told often to just flush them all, move the tanks home and get new ones. And I mean flush them live. I always refuse but I get it a lot. My entire family thinks I'm insane because they are "just fish" except my little cousin who actually got a betta boy and has been taking really good care of him and she wanted him because I had fish. She actually asked me if she could have my least favorite fish. I couldn't give up any of my boys but we did buy her everything for christmas. Now her little Alex is very happy in a heated 2.5g tank.

I also have gotten crap about tank sizes when a new boy comes along or when one needed to be upgraded. "It's just a fish they can live in small bowls they don't need a lot of space" yeah actually they do.

I've just started replying to it with "They may be 'just a fish' to you but they are a whole lot more to me and I would appreciate it if you would accept that I enjoy keeping bettas and would like them to have proper homes." only to be replied with "In our day we just kept them in bowls without heaters and changed water like once a month and they did just fine. I just internally fume.
Oh my god same. Like are you really that cruel? Like holy crap it's a pet you dingus and not just a fish. I'm trying soo hard to not swear on here because I know the rules but damn. I swear all the time and this just makes me sad to the point of crying

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well, in their day they didn't have a lot of information, didn't they?

Fish are living things. They need to be taken care of. Every animal is worth the same, no matter how big or small or the amount of years they live to. Dogs and cats are not "superior" to fish- every animal has a soul, and that is what makes them equal.

Heck- if, let's say, your child came down with the flu or something, you wouldn't flush them down the toilet (or throw them into the orphanage, whatever) and adopt another one. You would manually take care of him/her. Same goes for fish. If you say "oh betta fish don't need a lot- they can live in bowls without food and no heater" that's basically saying "oh, children don't need a lot- they can live in dinky bathrooms with no food and no clothes" in my eyes.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
^^+1 PurpleJay! I feel the same way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just started buying bettas. I got my first one 3 months ago. Bought my second one last week and a third one today lol I think it's safe to say I'm beginning to be obsessed. I honestly can't help my self. I see these poor guys at the walmart store and I feel so bad for them! I even feel bad when I only pick one. So at this moment I have 3 bettas and one 30 gal tank for other fish.
I so wish bettas could live together peacefully, I would have a 50 gallon tank filled with them. Imagine how beautiful that would be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts