Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a Silicone plant online, and for the passed few days I'm been soaking it in hot water, in hopes to get rid of the silicone smell. I've even soaked it in vinegar.

Does anyone have experience with silicone plants? Will the smell be harmful? I want to be absolutely sure before I put it in the tank. :/

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use them. Anything that smells I would never put in a tank.

Other members have reported that over time the silicone plants have broken down and kinda turned in to mush.

I would use live or silk plants.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I wouldn't use them. Anything that smells I would never put in a tank.

Other members have reported that over time the silicone plants have broken down and kinda turned in to mush.

I would use live or silk plants.
Blah, oh well, it was an experiment anyways, it only cost me $3, so I wasn't sure what to expect, and not too broken up about it.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I'm glad you asked -- I almost bought one at Walmart the other day.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad you asked -- I almost bought one at Walmart the other day.
And it kind of sucks that there is no good experiences, because its soft to not hurt Bettas. But if they maybe used the same silicone as cookware, it would be different, and safe. :/

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I liked how soft it is, and it was built to look like a sea anemone. I guess it would look more natural in a salt water tank, but no one in the house would know to point it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts