Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm in college and taking my second semester of Japanese. Would like to practice more and am wondering if anyone here knows the language!

私は日本語の一年生です。ブリンマーの大学の学生です。どうぞよろしく!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I would love to go to Japan! I'm planning on teaching English there after college before grad school.

Which area did you go to?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm so jealous! I would study abroad there, but I feel it would be too much of a culture shock for me, I had a hard time adjusting during my first semester away from home.

How long were you in Tokyo for?

·
Banned
27,614 Posts
I had a hard time adjusting when I first went away to college, too. My brother and sister-in-law didn't have too much trouble even though they don't speak Japanese. We were there for 2 weeks over Christmas. It was 10 years ago.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've taken lessons in Japanese though I never really learned much. I've also been to Japan for vacation for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I don't speak Japanese. But that is soo cool that you are going to teach there. Good luck!
Edit: What does that mean what you wrote in the Japanese? LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
I studied Japanese for two years in college and visited Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka) for ten days. I am trying to study on my own for the JLPT next year. Unfortunately, I forgot a lot from lack of use, so I'm back to the basics.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice! I have a few college friends that teach English there. I'm thinking of doing the same but in a couple of years.
Teaching English is like the fast food job for foreigners in Japan. No experience needed, high turnover rate, and minimal exposure to reality. (Teachers tend to stick together so are in a sort of bubble - often turning to something really negative because of culture shock.)

It is an easy way to get to Japan, but isn't really going to bring a good lifestyle while in the country.

If you are interested, I run a forum about Japan with a lot of knowledgable people on it.
Japanologic Forum

·
Registered
12 Posts
こんにちわ、ぼくの なまえは クリスです。どうぞあろしく。

I dunno if that's right or not. . Hehehe.
You did really good! I would just use "watashi" instead of "boku" (but "boku" isn't wrong just sounds very casual) and fixed the spelling for "yoroskiku".

こんにちは、わたしのなまえはクリスです。どうぞよろしく。

Instead of saying, "boku no namae" you could even just say わたしはクリスです/"watashi wa Kurisu desu".

Anyway, good job!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Teaching English is like the fast food job for foreigners in Japan. No experience needed, high turnover rate, and minimal exposure to reality. (Teachers tend to stick together so are in a sort of bubble - often turning to something really negative because of culture shock.)

It is an easy way to get to Japan, but isn't really going to bring a good lifestyle while in the country.

If you are interested, I run a forum about Japan with a lot of knowledgable people on it.
Japanologic Forum
Thanks for the link! I am checking it out now.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You did really good! I would just use "watashi" instead of "boku" (but "boku" isn't wrong just sounds very casual) and fixed the spelling for "yoroskiku".

こんにちは、わたしのなまえはクリスです。どうぞよろしく。

Instead of saying, "boku no namae" you could even just say わたしはクリスです/"watashi wa Kurisu desu".

Anyway, good job!
But isn't ”わたし” usually used for females while ”ぼくわ” for males? That's what I've learned. xD

·
Registered
163 Posts
But isn't ”わたし” usually used for females while ”ぼくわ” for males? That's what I've learned. xD
わたし is generic, ぼく is less formal for (usually quite young) males. Grade school boys will use ぼく almost entirely, but once they are better with formal speech will switch over to using わたし.

Really though, you don't need to use a pronoun at all. They are pretty rare in normal Japanese use.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
私はバハムとです。

大学の時は、日本語の四年生でした。。。でも、今、上手じゃない。。。忘れちゃった。 LOL. Haha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts