Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have 6 glowlight tetras, one male giant betta (who is definitely not full grown, currently the size of a standard betta), and a couple snails in a 16g tank. I added the betta about a week and a half ago, under close supervision. Until today, everyone has seemed entirely happy, and then today I noticed my largest tetra go in for a fin nip twice, about 10 minutes apart. Do I need to take immediate, permanent action? Any chance this could sort itself out or remain infrequent? Either sort out on its own or when the betta grows a bit? Or is this just a recipe for permanent betta harassment and/or serious injury?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh I guess another note, the tank is planted, though not very established and I would say has a medium number of hiding spots, including some betta caves and a floating betta log. The beta scoped out all the spots when he arrived but hasn’t really been spending time in them.

· Registered
1 fish, 1 cat, 2 dogs, 10 horses, 1 pig
246 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Tetras are pretty known for harassing bettas and fin nipping, so 6 tetras is not recommended.
I say, remove the tetras for a bit (keep em’ in a safe spot). Leave the betta in the 16g tank and preform reagrupar water changes. You could feed him some food that are high in protein (daphnia for example).
Of your betta is currently stressed, I would suggest putting some unvented rooibos tea to help him de-stress.

Hope this helped!

· Registered
1 fish, 1 cat, 2 dogs, 10 horses, 1 pig
246 Posts
You could try again if you want. But I think it’ll be a waste of time.

· Registered
2 bettas (MOON) (TANK) 3 mollies 1 african dwarf frog 2 dogs 2 cats 2 leopard geckos 1 baby guinea
1,055 Posts
Water Fin Fish Fish supply Underwater
this is a harlequin rasbora I'm thinking about buying some they are very peaceful and don't nip also they're one of the best betta tank mates I agree my tetras harassed my betta I'm unsure if he killed them but they slowly died

1 - 7 of 7 Posts