Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here we go again, I think my Betta is having the start of dropsy. He is still perky (When he wakes up in the morning he zooms around the tank flaring just for the fun of it for a solid 5 minutes or so) and has no trouble eating, but his scales are worrying me. Further more I realize he is underweight, I've always had trouble keeping his weight up because I fear of overfeeding him (and he's a 2 inch Betta so I feed him more than my normal sized Betta). If anyone has any suggestions with that, that'd be a great help as well.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?: 10 Gallons
Does it have a filter?: Yes, homemade box filter
Does it have a heater?: Yes
What temperature is your tank?: 80° F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?: Yes, airstone
Does your Betta have tank mates?: Yes
What kind?: 1 Amano Shrimp, 1 Nerite snail

Food:
What food brand do you use?: Northfin, Xtreme, Omega One Frozen (not freeze dried)
Do you feed flakes or pellets?: Pellets
Freeze-dried?: No
How often do you feed your Betta?: Twice everyday except Wednesdays How much?: (I rotate between all these foods, but I only use 2 different ones each day, he's also a King Betta so he gets a bit more)
-Northfin: 5 pellets
-Xtreme: 3 pellets
-Omega One Bloodworms/Brine Shrimp: Roughly a small eyedropper full

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?: Once a week
What percentage of water did you change?: 25% (2-2 1/2 gallons)
What is the source of your water?: Tap Water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?: Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner?: Indian Almond Leaves
What brand of conditioner?: Big Al's

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm (I have 2 anubias that absorb the Nitrate, the tank has been cycled since August)
pH: 8.2 (I add 3 Indian Almond leaves every water change but the ph never changes, I also have driftwood. However this doesn't seem to effect him and everyone in the tank has acclimated to it.)
Hardness (GH): Unknown
Alkalinity (KH): Unknown

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?: Today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?: All I can see is slight pineconing in certain areas of his body.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?: His behavior hasn't changed
Is your Betta still eating?: Yes, without problem
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?: No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?: Other then the bump on his face when first purchased? No.
How long have you owned your Betta?: Since July 2020
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?: Yes, small bump on his face but that healed with Epsom salt and almond leaves

Any and all help is appreciated rn. I have a tendency to overreact so I really hope that's the case and he doesn't have dropsy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Any changes?
Hi! He hasn’t declined at all today and had a large helping of frozen blood worms for dinner without any difficulty. If anything this post was made just to confirm if anyone else sees the beginnings of pineconing scales or it’s just my imagination. I’ve heard Dropsy can be treated if you catch it really early on so that’s why I came here to get a second opinion quickly.

·
Super Moderator
21,820 Posts
He doesn't appear to have Dropsy or the beginning of. A photo of him from above in a straight line would be most helpful. And, yes, he is too thin. If that curve is normal then he's showing the effects of starvation.

From above he should look like this:
FishFromAbove.jpg

Overfeeding means too much food at one time. You can feed 30 pellets per day if you feed six or more meals three or so hours apart. But if you fed 30 at once that would be overfeeding.

Dropsy is a symptom; usually of organ failure. So while you can alleviate symptoms it can never be "cured."

I tend to judge whether fish are in trouble by activity and eating. If they aren't lethargic and they're of good appetite I don't worry. The moment either changes I look for reasons.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He doesn't appear to have Dropsy or the beginning of. A photo of him from above in a straight line would be most helpful. And, yes, he is too thin.

Overfeeding means too much food at one time. You can feed 30 pellets per day if you feed six or more meals. But if you fed 30 at once that would be overfeeding.
Hi! Thank you for the confirmation, and the one top down angle of him was my attempt to get a photo of him in a straight line, but he always moves around and bends like he’s ready to jump for food lol.

Ah ok that makes sense, thank you for clarifying. I will definitely up his feeding frequency. Thank you for your help again! I hope this post didn’t seem annoying or meaningless. I just read that dropsy has a better change of being cured if caught really early on, so I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. Again thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
21,820 Posts
Your thread is neither annoying nor meaningless. One of the reasons I do not answer those requesting private advice through messaging is I believe a Forum is to educate as many people as possible You can't do that if you offer "private" help. In addition, people mean well, what if you're wrong and cause more harm? The more input, IMO, the better.

So, ask anything. It might seem trivial to you but there is someone reading who appreciates that you asked....including this member.

BTW, with the food you are using there's no reason to fast. You might just give him a Frozen Food Day. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your thread is neither annoying nor meaningless. One of the reasons I do not answer those requesting private advice through messaging is I believe a Forum is to educate as many people as possible You can't do that if you offer "private" help. In addition, people mean well, what if you're wrong and cause more harm? The more input, IMO, the better.

So, ask anything. It might seem trivial to you but there is someone reading who appreciates that you asked....including this member.

BTW, with the food you are using there's no reason to fast. You might just give him a Frozen Food Day. ;)
Thank you for the reassurance, as a person who gets called an “overreacter“ a lot this helps greatly. 😊

And I’ll be sure to try a frozen food day for him. For now each day I’ll bump up the amount of times I feed him by one extra feeding added per day. Btw would you legitimately recommend 30 pellets per day for a 2 inch betta or was that a hyperbolic example above? And is it necessary to slowly increase frequency in feeding or would I be fine with feeding him a substantially larger amount from the get go without working him up to that. Would 4 spaced out feedings a day be enough (since when school starts that’s as many times I’d roughly be able to feed him and space them).
Thank you for all your help! 💕

·
Super Moderator
21,820 Posts
Strictly hyperbolic. :) If the Xtreme is the same size as the NorthFin you can feed him five of those, as well. Feed him at least three times a day but four is good. You can feed frozen for one meal if you wish, too.

I found this food. It has no fillers and my Betta love it Grain Free Bug (Black Soldier Fly) Formula This is the only place you can buy it as they have it made.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strictly hyperbolic. :) If the Xtreme is the same size as the NorthFin you can feed him five of those, as well. Feed him at least three times a day but four is good. You can feed frozen for one meal if you wish, too.

I found this food. It has no fillers and my Betta love it Grain Free Bug (Black Soldier Fly) Formula This is the only place you can buy it as they have it made.
Thank you for the clarification lol And the Northfin pellets are significantly smaller than the Xtreme ones so that’s why I feed him less of those. With the NorthFin he inhales those but the Xtreme Betta pellets he has to chew for a few seconds. And I do rotate frozen into his daily feedings (After learning that brine shrimp, frozen or live, are a form of laxative for them).

I’m in Canada so shipping from America can be a pain for the wallet but I’ll definitely look into the brand and product, thank you for the recommendation!

·
Registered
LongHa & Barbie
249 Posts
@RussellTheShihTzu so this "pineconing" that shes witnessing, what can be the cause of this?

@MaverickMom I hope your little guy feels better soon!
Good old Big Al's! The source for almost all my fishing needs.

·
Registered
LongHa & Barbie
249 Posts
There was no pineconing.
My mistake, perhaps its that macro camera feature that I've seen with other betta pics before that makes them stand out like that.

To be clear, dropsy and pineconing should oy appear as such:

note: Google image ref

I hope things get better!

·
Registered
99 Posts
@MaverickMom this forum is plain old amazing. No judgement, just education.
That's how it should be I thinks.. when I first got on I was terrified to post pictures and stuff because I think I'm doing good but maybe not lmao I was super scared I would get attacked with stuff I needed to do better... That totally hasn't been the case though everyone here is super nice

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
785 Posts
@RussellTheShihTzu so this "pineconing" that shes witnessing, what can be the cause of this?

@MaverickMom I hope your little guy feels better soon!
Good old Big Al's! The source for almost all my fishing needs.
Dropsy truly is quite strange. Can be from a number of things, but most often late-stage organ failure. Think about it, a betta lives in a freshwater environment with a high concentration of water and a low concentration of salt. Kidneys are responsible for removing excess water and filtering the salt. A betta does not have bone marrow. so their kidneys also make red and white blood cells. A betta with a compromised immune system (either from stress, poor water quality, diet etc.) will put strain on the kidney's, and when the kidneys fail they stop removing excess water, thus making them swell like a balloon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's how it should be I thinks.. when I first got on I was terrified to post pictures and stuff because I think I'm doing good but maybe not lmao I was super scared I would get attacked with stuff I needed to do better... That totally hasn't been the case though everyone here is super nice
Agreed. I made the mistake of posting on the betta forum on Reddit - they are intense!

·
Registered
LongHa & Barbie
249 Posts
I've been lucky with this forum a decade ago when I had my Betta Tarzan. Therefore, when I returned with some questions regarding LH, I knew who to ask. I've even seen members on here from that time, so you trust that ppl here know what they're saying.
Also, these guys are quick to nip you in the butt if you're not following the rules and guidelines. So rest assured, you're in the right place. These guys take pride :)

Updates on Maverick?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh my goodness I didn't realize people were still commenting on here, normally I get an email after every reply but after a while I didn't get anymore, thank you so much for the reassurance everyone!! Each time I make a post on here I am constantly reminded that some people just genuinely want to help and don't judge, I'm beyond grateful for being welcomed into this space and community!!

Update on Maverick: He's absolutely fine, I upped his feedings to 3 times per day and it's definitely making him feel a lot perkier, and if I'm not mistaken he's even starting to fill out and gain weight!! Thank you so much again to everyone's help and kind words! 💚

1 - 20 of 31 Posts