Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My betta has been acting weird since I took him out of his tank with a measuring cup! :( I don’t like to use my net much bc I’ve heard it’s preferred not to by other betta keepers! He freaked out when I used the cup and placed him in his temporary tank while I clean his 10 gallon!
his reactions are:
Swimming odd
Staying at the bottom
Floating around when it first happened
And he was freaking out like he wanted to jump out the temporary tank
Please help! I can never find answers on google and this is one I cannot receive help on!

·
Super Moderator
2,007 Posts
Hi @Abelizabeth ! I'm sorry that your betta is having trouble! Could you fill out this form and attach pictures of him and his tank? That will help us get all the information we need, so we aren't guessing!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was doing a tank cleaning! I used a measuring cup to get him out of the water instead of a net because some betta keepers prefer not to… ever since I tried to get him in the cup he’s been laying at the bottom of the tank ! I made a post yesterday! He’s still hanging in there but I think I might have harmed him when I put the cup in the water like he got caught in the flow going in the cup and freaked himself out ! and I can’t move anything around in his tank bc if he’s under something he bolts like he wants to jump out. :( he’s never like this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is ALIVE in those photos i wish i could post a video of his gills moving :( ! Clear a few things up! I was putting him in his temporary tank to clean his 10g ( I won’t remove him anymore when cleaning if he makes it) once he flipped out and was in the cup he was already starting to circle the cup like he wanted to jump but then stop and float to the bottom and did the same thing when I exchanged him from cup to temporary! He hasn’t been okay since cleaning which was yesterday around 1pm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is ALIVE in those photos i wish i could post a video of his gills moving :( ! Clear a few things up! I was putting him in his temporary tank to clean his 10g ( I won’t remove him anymore when cleaning if he makes it) once he flipped out and was in the cup (decent sized cup) he was already starting to circle the cup like he wanted to jump but then stop and float to the bottom and did the same thing when I exchanged him from cup to temporary! He hasn’t been okay since cleaning which was yesterday around 1pm

·
Registered
353 Posts
seems like hes in shock, could you please fill out this form so we can better understand your situation?
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seems like hes in shock, could you please fill out this form so we can better understand your situation?
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 I think
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Please explain? A bubbler?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No just snails

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon, betta dial-a-treat occasionally
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pelllets
Freeze-dried? Sometimes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice daily

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1-2 weeks or if needed
What percentage of water did you change? 40%
What is the source of your water? Explain? I think this means I use tap with water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? API leaf zone for plant health
What brand of conditioner? API

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:unknown right now
Nitrite:unknown
Nitrate:unknown right now
pH:unknown
Hardness (GH):unknown
Alkalinity (KH):unknown

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Yesterday around this time
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Lost a little color
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Stays at the bottom and swims sideways
Is your Betta still eating? He hasn’t swam around much to come eat just moves around to a different spot
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I don’t know what to do
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No he once got caught up by the filter but healed perfectly and filter is betta proof now :)
How long have you owned your Betta? A few months now
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased no he seemed fine but he used to pace the front of the glass when I first got him never anything harmful to himself but just unusual if anyone has answers for that too

·
Registered
353 Posts
ok so probably shock. how many snails are in the tank? if there is only a few then you dont need to do such big water changes. 10-20% weekly will suffice. Seems like you dont know what temperature your tank actually is. do you have a thermometer? i reccomend getting one and measuring both the water in the tank and the water you put into it during water changes. Is it possible your heater stopped working?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi @Abelizabeth ! I'm sorry that your betta is having trouble! Could you fill out this form and attach pictures of him and his tank? That will help us get all the information we need, so we aren't guessing!

ok so probably shock. how many snails are in the tank? if there is only a few then you dont need to do such big water changes. 10-20% weekly will suffice. Seems like you dont know what temperature your tank actually is. do you have a thermometer? i reccomend getting one and measuring both the water in the tank and the water you put into it during water changes. Is it possible your heater stopped working?
the tank needed a 40% change due to I haven’t been able to change it for a good week and a half, food all in the rocks leaving the tank looking filthy I thought it was necessary… and what kind of shock do you mean? I didn’t switch him from any water that was a different temperature I used the water he was already in and we have to many snails growing in here so I have to sometimes dispose of some snails. And yes a have a thermometer I just don’t have good eyes it was somewhere between 78-79 ! But thank you for any information that can help me become a better betta keeper he’s still alive and hanging in there he came to the top last night and sat on his heater at the top for a little while I tried to put food infront of him .. he wouldn’t eat! My boyfriend does his nitrates and stuff I do not fully know how to handle that yet !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.