Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my betta Leo has swim bladder for the second time in less than a month. The first time i figured was because I fed him freeze dried blood worms (I don't feed him those anymore) and just over eating in general. I didn't research as much as I should before hand and was feeding him 6 or 8 pellets a day. So I fasted him then fed him a pea and it went away. After that I fed him less. I've been feeding him two pellets in the morning and one at night. He lives in a half gallon tank with a java fern in it and Its heated to about 74 degrees. I live in New England and my house is usually around 65 so Its hard to keep in heated :/ I went away for a few days but my dad took care of him and only fed him three pellets a day and now he has swim bladder again. I don't know why it happened. I also have a five month old female that my dad fed the exact same way and she's perfectly fine. I'm really worried about my male. If anybody could tell If this is chronic and how to treat it (just regular swim bladder or if there's a different way you should treat it if it's chronic) That would be great! I feel so bad for my poor little fishy and I just want to get him back to a normal healthy life.

·
Registered
610 Posts
There is some serious controversy about the pea thing so I have never tried it. I did, however, try frozen Daphnia and my betta LOVED it and it helped him go number 2. As most people on here will tell you, consistent heated water (between 74-80 degrees) is best, and they are right. But seeing as though you can't keep it that warm, just try to keep it at a steady 74-75 like you are doing. Also, try an epsom salt treatment for about a week. Clean water is a MUST and maybe even lower the water level so it is easier on him to get to the top for air. While doing the epsom salt treatment, fast him for three days and maybe try some frozen Dahpnia (it's a laxative that they can easily digest). As far as the epsom salt, 1 TEASPOON per gallon of water with daily 50% water changes (at least) replacing the epsom salt you just lost. I REALLY hope he gets better soon and I hope this helps!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
What BRAND of food do you feed him?

Look at the ingredients list on the label. Foods that have a lot of grains or fillers can cause constipation, bloating and buoyancy issues in some bettas. Look for words like: "meal, soybean, wheat, gluten, rice, potato, corn, etc." If you see a lot of these, consider switching him to a high-quality food.

On this forum, two brands are highly recommended. Both contain good nutrients and are well-tolerated by bettas:
- New Life Spectrum Betta pellets
- Omega One Betta Buffet

I would start by switching his food to one of these two brands. If that doesn't resolve the issue, let us know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.