Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new betta about 2 months ago. He is in a 5 gallon tank with a heater and filter. After about 2 weeks of getting him, my small 5 gallon tank recycled, causing nitrites to spike. Around this same time, I noticed my bettas fins starting to appear ripped. I suspected fin rot, although I'm not sure if he is biting his own fins. They will tear and appear to slightly regrow and then tear again. After doing daily water changes, I have finally gotten my tank fully cycles, although his back fin appears ripped up again when I came home today. All of my parameters are good. Do you think this is fin rot or my betta biting his own back fins. I have attached a few pictures showing what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would say biting. It looks very similar to my own biter. Plus, what you've done would have gotten rid of any fin rot is that was the case. I'd continue to keep his water very clean to prevent infection and maybe continue the aquarium salt for a while also. I wouldn't go to strong meds yet as to not stress him out any more than he might be already. Here is the link to my biter's thread...

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=652882

Treatment for biting isn't a cure all. Every's biter reacts differently. I will say that generally I've been told that dimmer lighting, a warm environment, and more tall plants to hide and rest heavy fins on can help. For me, the biting occurred at night so I was able to curb it by putting him in a smaller container at night. Does it seem to occur at night for him? Maybe also try feeding him a little more to lessen his appetite.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts