Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my betta from the pet store last tuesday and he has clear patches on his fins and his anal fin is curling a little bit i dont know if he is healing or he has fin rot thank you

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi! What a pretty boy!
Clear finnage can indicate that a section is healing, you're right, --I'm actually thinking that he got torn fins somewhere along the line and is healing up from that. The curl could be from hard water although if you do have hard water you likley don't want to try to change it since attempting to adjust hard water can cause other issues.
The best thing for him is for you to do frequent water changes - that helps with the continued healing :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Does it have a filter? yes it does
Does it have a heater? yes it does
What temperature is your tank? 76 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? the filter outlet aerates the water
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? He does not have any

Food:
What food brand do you use? New life spectrum betta
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellet
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
every day
Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? i did it with a syphon
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
What is the source of your water? tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? both
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: .5
pH: 7.3
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? has white patches
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? been normal
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? aquarium salt baths
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? none that i know of
How long have you owned your Betta? 5 days
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? yes

·
Registered
265 Posts
Oh, by the way, about the pellets you're feeding, are they the designated small size (on the tub--.5mm-.75mm)? You should feed, per the directions enough for him to eat in 60 seconds and remove any uneaten food after that timeframe :)

How has your Betta’s appearance changed? has white patches
Are you referring to the clear finnage you mentioned above or is this something different?

I'm not sure the salt baths are really necessary - are you doing the water changes daily, every other day...?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, by the way, about the pellets you're feeding, are they the designated small size (on the tub--.5mm-.75mm)? You should feed, per the directions enough for him to eat in 60 seconds and remove any uneaten food after that timeframe :)

Are you referring to the clear finnage you mentioned above or is this something different?

I'm not sure the salt baths are really necessary - are you doing the water changes daily, every other day...?
Does it matter if my tank is already cycled or should i be doing the water changes daily? And no i do water changes once. A week

·
Registered
265 Posts
once a week is probably good with a cycled tank. Some might suggest that for him to heal even better, a couple times a week may be helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
once a week is probably good with a cycled tank. Some might suggest that for him to heal even better, a couple times a week may be helpful.
do you know how long it would take for him to heal? and the pellet size of his food is 1mm-1.5mm

·
Registered
265 Posts
There is a lot of good information here, and in other pinned/sticky posts and threads

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a lot of good information here, and in other pinned/sticky posts and threads

thank you!

·
Super Moderator
19,470 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!.

Your boy does not have fin rot. He looks more to have damage than biting. For either, it is good to add Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea. Both have antibacterial and antifungal properties. You can float either in the tank or, you can make a strong tea and add directly. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Personally, I like to do both.

When a fish has external damage is it important to keep the water at it's cleanest to avoid bacterial or fungal infections. Until you can add the IAL or Rooibos it would be best to do a couple of one-gallon water changes per week.

How long it takes for fins to heal is varied. Sometimes they start in a day or two and sometime a week or more.

What do you mean by "white patches"?

You chose an excellent food when you bought NLS. Watch his belly and feed until gently rounded. Feed a couple of times per day instead of one large meal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the Forum!.

Your boy does not have fin rot. He looks more to have damage than biting. For either, it is good to add Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea. Both have antibacterial and antifungal properties. You can float either in the tank or, you can make a strong tea and add directly. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Personally, I like to do both.

When a fish has external damage is it important to keep the water at it's cleanest to avoid bacterial or fungal infections. Until you can add the IAL or Rooibos it would be best to do a couple of one-gallon water changes per week.

How long it takes for fins to heal is varied. Sometimes they start in a day or two and sometime a week or more.

What do you mean by "white patches"?

You chose an excellent food when you bought NLS. Watch his belly and feed until gently rounded. Feed a couple of times per day instead of one large meal.
I meant that you can see in the pic the clear patches

·
Super Moderator
19,470 Posts
I get it. I was looking for white patches.

Most clear areas are a normal part of his pattern. They're called "cellophane." The rest are indicative of healing. Most healing areas start out clear and then turn to the previous color.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I get it. I was looking for white patches.

Most clear areas are a normal part of his pattern. They're called "cellophane." The rest are indicative of healing. Most healing areas start out clear and then turn to the previous color.
i think all of his clear patches are healing though dont you think?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts