Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past two weeks or so, I've been noticing a weird film forming on the top of my fish tanks. Looking from above, the water looks cloudy, but if I move the water it goes into clumps that almost look like wet paper. Two of my fish don't seem to be bothered by it, but the third seems a little bit less active than usual. One of my fish had a problem with reoccurring SBD not too long before this, but I don't think it's related because he hasn't had any symptoms for several weeks.

I did a search on this forum, and it kind of sounds like protein film to me. Am I right about that? Is it something to worry about, or does it just mean I have to clean the tanks more often?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Yes, protein film. Cleaning the tank more probably won't do anything. It isn't something to panic about, of course, although it can make it harder for bettas to penetrate the surface for air, so just keep on top of it. Use a paper towel, and place it on top, or scoop it out with a cup.

Is the tank filtered or with a bubbler? I find protein tends to form more in stagnant water.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts