Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a white german shepherd, he is around 4 years old, he is very active and eat healthy.
I was wondering if it is ok to give chocolate to my dog ?? I mean like anything mix with chocolate such as donuts, ice cream, candy, cookies, cakes ect... can dog eat that ?? I heard few of my friends said that dog cannot eat chocolate, they will get sick or even die, i don't know if it is true or false because i have never search for that information.
Could you please give me some advices??
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
Chocolate contains a chemical compound called theobromine that is VERY toxic to dogs. Never give your dog anything containing chocolate. The higher the percentage of cocoa, the more dangerous it is, but definitely never let your dog have any kind of chocolate.

Generally, it's best to feed healthy dog treats with high quality ingredients rather than human snacks that contain a lot of fat or calories.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, dark chocolate especially so. Some dogs are more sensitive than others. One of my old dogs survived eating 1/2 a pound of chocolate mints and just barfed minty piles all over the house - we were away from home when she got into them. Here is a good list of plants and foods to avoid:

http://www.dogster.com/dog-health-care/poisonous-plants-and-foods-for-dogs

ETA: one plant that I notice is not on there is the Black Eyed Susan. It and other coneflowers can cause throat irritation and gastric and kidney issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Also it depends on the amount ingested and the dog size... My Great Dane (now deceased, not from chocalate) once ate around 20 chocalate cupcakes plus half the plastic wrap on them and was fine... (not recommended)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Small amounts of chocolate will not harm your dog, but it is advised not to give any. While chocolate is rarely FATAL (deadly) to a dog, there are many other negatives that could happen. Vomitting is the most common, but also seizures, heart issues, etc can easily happen as well. None of which are good.

It would generally take 50-80oz of milk chocolate to kill an 80lb dog. It would take 15-25oz of semisweet chocolate to kill an 80lb dog. It would only take 5-8oz of baker's chocolate to kill an 80lb dog. It is very rare white chocolate will kill a dog as there are only small amounts of cocoa, but can easily lead to heart problems and seizures.

It isn't the chocolate itself, but the cocoa.

So what everyone has told you is absolutely correct. To keep your dog healthy, never feed chocolate! Even white chocolate.

Also, in certain dogs, it may take much less to be fatal... It tends to vary on the dog itself. Better safe than sorry..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Very small amounts won't harm them, but it's best to avoid people food, unless you're giving them plain meat (and maybe some fruits and veggies on occasion). Dogs are mainly carnivores, but are omnivorous, and benefit from the occassional fruit or veggie snack.

Most dog food isn't very natural, and those that are cost an arm and a leg, so you should give your dog bits of banana every now and then rather than chocolate. Some other snacks are good, but research first. Some things can hurt your dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,899 Posts
My dog hates fake dog chocolate :p of course she is extremely picky. She won't even eat a hot dog (she knows it's bad for you, haha). Our old dog wouldn't eat dog chocolate either. I'm guessing most dogs would eat it though :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,821 Posts
I've had a coupla scares of Emma stealing chocolate off the coffee table and me being careless enough to LEAVE IT. Shame on me **smacks self in head**
Cant tell ya how worried I was....and annoyed at how HYPER she was!!

But, please....PLEASE, don't ever give your dog people food. It just keeps you from teaching your dog bad habits. If you want to give your dog people food, try a crunchy carrot. Emma demma LOVES carrots...crispy red apples too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,899 Posts
Something most dogs go crazy for and is good for them is also a plain (non flavoured) low fat yogurt. Also pumpkin mash, small amounts of peanut butter, many veggies ect. If I'm alone on a weekend, I'll make enough scrambled eggs for the dog to have a breakfast too, they are fine, just not raw. :) Here is a decent list of nono's:
http://www.nocans.com/avoid.html
The general rule is if you don't know, don't go. Research anything you want to give a dog heavily on MANY different, reputable sites before feeding, and even then, limit the amount you feed to avoid upsetting the dog. "people food" should consist of under 7% of your dogs diet, as a rough idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,821 Posts
Onions and garlic are also bad for dogs.
Garlic isn't too bad.
I've heard quite a few owners using small amount of garlic for flea control. I believe some dog food brands have garlic in them as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,948 Posts
Garlic isn't too bad.
I've heard quite a few owners using small amount of garlic for flea control. I believe some dog food brands have garlic in them as well.
Here's what the ASPCA say's about it
"What we do know is that gastrointestinal problems and red blood cell damage can occur as a result of feeding garlic to pets. An occasional small amount, such as that in most commercial pet foods and treats, may not cause a problem, but because of the risk, we generally recommend that you avoid feeding your pets products that contain more concentrated amounts of garlic." http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-pet-nutrition/is-garlic-toxic-to-pets.aspx
They do get small amounts, but I'd never risk adding any extra into their diet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,821 Posts
Here's what the ASPCA say's about it
"What we do know is that gastrointestinal problems and red blood cell damage can occur as a result of feeding garlic to pets. An occasional small amount, such as that in most commercial pet foods and treats, may not cause a problem, but because of the risk, we generally recommend that you avoid feeding your pets products that contain more concentrated amounts of garlic." http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-pet-nutrition/is-garlic-toxic-to-pets.aspx
They do get small amounts, but I'd never risk adding any extra into their diet.
After they did a horrible spay job on my pug....I don't trust the ASPCA for anything.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top