Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone so i always walk into pet stores with hopes of getting a new betta fish and i know it might sound crazy or something but i don't want to make the betta (Ernest) that i already have jealous and i did rescue him from pet smart so i kinda bonded with him and i mean i may get a nice 10 gallon and divide it for two but i don't want ernest to get mad or feel neglected and i know i have the money,time,and supplies to care for another helpless fish but i don't want to neglect ernest if that makes sense i probably sound crazy

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
If anything, it'll make ernest more active to have another betta around.

Betta's need excersize, and having another one that he's able to see will help him get it. It'll also help keep him occupied and more entertained mentally. I've noticed that my males that are next to other males always do better than the ones that are by themselves.

At the same time there are some people that will argue that they shouldn't be able to see another male 24/7, but I have to disagree after my experiences. You can always get an opaque cutting board or something to put in front of the divider if they do get too active/stressed from seeing each other constantly.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Well I know bettas have personalities, but I don't think that much of a personality :). In fact my betta usually only makes a bubble nest when I'm not paying attention, but honestly I'd rather pay attention, then have a betta bubble nest. I think it really just comes down to weather or not you want another betta.

I think Ernest might be a bit upset, but maybe a new tank??

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Goodluck! Just remember to try and go for a healthy one unless you have a QT available for the new guy. If you don't and you divide Ernest's tank, and the new one ends up being a sickly one, he could make Ernest sick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts