Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? National Geographic pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? everyday 4-8 pieces

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
every 2-4 weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? dip out
What additives do you use? Previously used API water conditioner, Now i use API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:

Had them tested they were "safe", sorry

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? March
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Yes
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Yes
Is your Betta still eating? Yes

My betta started with a small white cotton growth where his dorsal fin meets his body, I never really noticed frayed fins... He was being treated with Tetracycycline (he wasn't being treated properly, my mom was doing the treatment, this was only for a few weeks). It was progressing and getting larger even when I had started treating him correctly. In May it got significantly worse, The growth had gotten larger, even though he was being treated, pieces of his dorsal fin were falling off (the cotton stuff was at the BASE of his dorsal fin). Eventually he lost his whole dorsal fin and the white cottony growth is now taking over where his dorsal fin was (its no longer cottony). (Pic Below) After some advice I tried 100% water changes with store bought Spring water and the area got streaks of red and got worse. Now I started treating him with Furan 2 in June, and it doesn't seem to be helping.. The white area is going deeper into his body.. I'm at a serious loss, I've been treating him for months and NOTHING seems to be helping. He's still eating, the only thing is now he doesn't swim as much and hangs out at the bottom of his tank. If anyone knows what I can do It would be seriously appreciated, I really don't want Kevin to be in anymore pain. P.s the dirty water in the pic is the medicine in the water

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
How many gallons is your tank? 3gal
Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
every 2-4 weeks
Here is your problem, Not enough water changes,

API water conditioner, Now i use API Stress Coat
Dump the stresscoat stuff in the trash thats where it belongs and use the water conditioner.

After some advice I tried 100% water changes with store bought Spring water
As a general rule most spring water is not fish safe, What brand was it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I noticed he was sick, I made sure his water was properly changed as well. At one point before I started treating him with the Furan, I was changing his water 100% everyday while he was in a bowl, I only did this for a few days because I noticed the white area would turn bloody.. This was with the spring water and no conditioner. Before all of this started happening I was using the API water conditioner for the longest time, but someone at the store said the stress coat reduced their stress and had water conditioner in it, I will switch back to the water conditioner though. The same person also said using spring water was the best and then I wouldn't have to use any water conditioner to treat it. Ive been buying publix brand spring water from the grocery store. However, since I've been treating him with the Furan ive just been using normal water from the faucet with conditioner, I'm on the third treatment of Furan.. and this is after multiple treatments of tetracycline...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do i swab the area? I don't think he's going to let me... and how do I treat the tank with the methelyne blue and kanaplex,I just pour it in the tank? Should I treat him in his 3gallon tank or in a bowl?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
get a nice soft clean cloth get it wet put him on it and dip a q-tip in hp, actually have that ready and swab the area, if that proves too hard you can put a drop or 2 on the area, mb you treat the tank just like 2-3 drops, kanaplex follow instructions and yes do it in histank this will help get the yuck out of his tank if it is there, but i agree tht youneed to do more water changes

·
Registered
508 Posts
I want to give you some information that you should read through as I believe that your fish has either Columnaris or Saprolegnia. The attack on the dorsal fin is the reason. It is also called the saddleback disease as it looks like a saddle from the side. Does yours have a saddle formation? Anyway, here is the information to help you make decisions:

Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention

If this is what your fish has the best course of treatment is:
Nightly baths of Methylene Blue 9 drops per gallon, 1 teaspoon of Aquarium Salt per gallon mixed together

Furan 2 and KanaPlex mixed in the tank for treatment.

If you can swab the area with hydrogen peroxide that would really help also as it will help slow down the bacteria.

I would also keep his tank at the lower range of Betta's comfort as this bacteria grows very quickly in higher temperatures like 80 degreees. Keep him as stress free as possible and in a darkened room to help fight off the bacteria.

I hope this helps you and I hope that your Betta fights off this bacteria.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it's columnaris.. It would make sense because it started on his body (living tissue vs dead tissue with the saprolegnia). It also started out cottony and got larger... Also he has a white dot under his mouth that looked similar to when the columnaris effects the mouth too... What exactly is a "nightly bath", I put the mb and salt in there for the night then change the water and repeat? I keep his rocks in there too? How long can I do this and I don't want to overdose him..

·
Registered
508 Posts
A bath is where you put him in the AQ/mb combo for 30 min in a separate container than his tank. Dose the Furan 2 and KanaPlex in his main tank but it will effect plants or your cycle you should know. If you do not want to dose the main tank, I would put him in a smaller hospital tank with silk plants or something he likes. The baths do stress them at first so I do them at bed time and cover the tank so they are more stress free after the bath. Does he act sick?

Also this is very contagious so please do not share any equipment with any of your other fish. I add Stress Zyme by API to keep Columnaris bacteria at bay in my aquariums as my water has a higher concentration of the bacteria for some reason and I have read that this helps so you may want to look into that for future fish or for any others that you have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! I just swabbed him with the HP and the area turned bloody after.. is this normal/okay? He hasn't been swimming as often and is sitting still more :(, but he's still eating normally.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Swabbing him was good for getting rid of the bacteria. The bleeding shows that it was live tissue and not dead tissue. Please keep his water pristine now as infections could set in. I wish you had the mb when he bleed. Just keep us informed of his progress. I am sending you good thoughts on healing him.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm going to do the bath tonight, Should I be doing this once a day? everyday? and for a week or so?
Yes you can do up to twice a day but once a day until you see some healing happening than up to a week after symptoms cease.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts