Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my bettas seemed to somehow split his dorsal to the point where its not just a rip, it seems like there is one section just ripped off.

My question is, does it grow back or because the stem of the dorsal is missing that his dorsal will just be funny looking forever.

| | __| | <--- the two columns are the fins and the empty space is the the missing dorsal. (just to paint a picture)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It will grow back. Our Hannibal ripped his off all the way to his back. It has grown back quite nicely and looks even healthier than it ever did before.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow thats a surprise, because I thought once one of the roots of the fins is out that it wouldn't grow back.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hannibal's has grown back really well. I'll see if he will pose for some pictures tonight. Was a nightmare when it happened, but he seems quite happy.
Just be sure to feed plenty of protein. I fed him pellets, frozen bloodworms, and frozen daphnia.

·
Registered
562 Posts
One of my bettas seemed to somehow split his dorsal to the point where its not just a rip, it seems like there is one section just ripped off.

My question is, does it grow back or because the stem of the dorsal is missing that his dorsal will just be funny looking forever.

| | __| | <--- the two columns are the fins and the empty space is the the missing dorsal. (just to paint a picture)
I would recommend at min. making sure he gets plenty of water changes... just to be on the safe side. Bettas who have injured any fin are at risk for getting infection.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Keep up with your weekly water changes (depends on size of tank, filtered, cycle, etc) and a high protein diet will help keep his fins from developing fin rot (brought on by bacteria, as well as fungus). Otherwise, as mentioned before.. just have to wait it out to grow back.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
should i mix up the diet with dried bloodworms or is it better to stay consistent with pellets?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
You can add in some as a meal (or a light snack mid-day) once or twice a week. They have decent protein, but lack in everything else which makes them pretty much empty calories. I would go for live foods or stick with your pellets as long as they are a good quality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts