Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a little pet store boy, I'm pretty sure he's a dragon scale rosetail but his scaling is quite bad and over the past year that I've had him he's been progressively losing his sight. He can still see a little and comes to the tank when he sees me. I working on other ways to tell him it's time to eat when his eyesight goes completely which will happen eventually. He shares a 10g with 2 nerites and 6 very respectful neon tetras. After getting him a new tube with suction cups, he's not moping around like he was and is back to flaring and acting normal where he had started to act pretty mopey. I also try not to move things around in his tank too much and try to make sure the current on the filter isn't too strong.

Here's the best picture I have of his eyes. You'll notice his tail is also short. He's been a tail biter, too much weight back there for him. It hasn't grown back and he's happy with that. I don't mind.

[I also have some cyantobacteria problems as you can see.]

You can see where his scaling is spreading into all his fins as well. Even his little pectoral fins are getting a scattering of scales on them.

This was back in April.

He was incredibly energetic as a baby so it's hard to find decent shots of him but this is how he looks when I got him. Much cleaner scaling and his eyes had only the slight hint of scale on them. It's probably the only reason he ended up at PetSmart. This is about 2-4 weeks after I brought him home.

So there are you are. I hope Kirei's story can help some other betta owners with dragonscale problems. I know I was pretty desperate for information when I saw his eyes getting worse. Apart from the recent little bout of depression, he seems to be adapting well and living fairly happily. He's always been very inquisitive and interested in everything I'm doing. He's an attention hog. With a little adapting from us both, I have high hopes for him living many more years. I do wish the scales would slow down though. I don't want it to get to a point where it affects his life anymore than it does already. Every once in a while, he still flares and follows my finger along the glass. If you've dealt with this, any tips and suggestions are welcome~

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's interesting you brought this up. I had no idea their eyes were deficient and had poor vision. I looked through the photos of my dragon female and did notice that their eyes weren't normal. I too would like to learn more about this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's how his started, just on the outside where it looked like it might be normal or like an eyelid. Hope your girl has some better luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts