Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This female is described as a dragonscale. I've never owned one though I've read a bit about them. If she weren't a dragon, I'd call her a Cambodian Butterfly. My question is, does she look like a Cambodian Butterfly Dragonscale or do you think those white scales are concealing another body color or pattern (i.e. marble)?

dragon.png

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would be interested in knowing.....I don't know much about dragonscale but she does look like the marble "in between stage" that my fish went through.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm not sure. Cambodian are supposed to be bi-colors with solid fins.
Yes, I know. What I mean by Cambodian Butterfly is a phenotype that manifests both Cambodian (cc) and Butterfly (Vf) traits, as in the fish pictured in my avatar. And I'm wondering if the female pictured above is basically that phenotype plus whatever those iridescent scales are, or are those iridescent scales concealing a non-Cambodian body color/pattern..

·
Super Moderator
6,169 Posts
To my knowledge, many breeders label their bettas according to the trait/s the parents show or the line the parents came from - even though the fish doesn't fully show the said trait/s.

This girl is not a full dragon - dragon scales do not cover her whole body. However she does show incomplete dragon scaling. So it is understandable and not mislabeling if the breeder calls it "dragon".

Butterfly is 2 or more color band on fins. Since she has 2 distinct color bands, thus she can be called as such.

Although she may carry cambodian genes she doesn't fit the criteria (IMO). However there are cambodian butterflies - a fish that shows both cambodian and butterfly traits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts