Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So almost two months ago I adopted this little guy from a pet store and on his temporary container they claimed he is a dragon scale betta. I've heard that pet stores can often misidentify betta fish and thought this would be the perfect place to ask! He very well could be a dragon scale and I just don't understand what that means but based on what I've read about dragon scales..he just doesn't seem to match the criteria. Please correct me if I'm wrong or point me in the right direction in identifying my little man. Personally, I see traits of delta or rosetail but I could also be very very wrong as I am no expert on identification! Help! :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
To me, he looks like a royal blue halfmoon (possibly a rosetail? Can't tell unless he flares) with a very thin white butterfly band. He's not a dragon scale, as dragon scaling is a secondary layer of scaling over the body. True dragon scales are white on their bodies, and iridescence can mimic dragon scales. He is quite pretty though! Don't be shocked if he loses the white band and goes all blue. My teal butterfly boy did that.

·
Super Moderator
6,435 Posts
Dragons were designed to have white/silver colored bodies with what ever colored tails which gives them their color names. They are different from regular color because their scales look thicker due to the extra metallic effect. However irids cannot display white/silver bodies. Their color tend to be the same body and fins.

Dragon fanatics do not recognize irids as dragons. They prefer to call them mere metallics. I call them dragon regardless because dragon and metallic genetics work differently.

Your picture is too dark for me to see if he is dragon or not. . . irid dragons are harder to distinguish (specially in pictures) because they look almost the same as regular color - specially royal blue.

Fin: He looks to be HM without any rose-ing. A side view flaring picture would help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts