Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!
Dragonfly recently went into a 5 gal, Fluval Chi. But after using some water conditioning tablets that were expired, can't believe I didn't check :oops:, the water/tank was smelly VERY salty and was incredibly cloudy! So I put Dragonfly into a 1 gallon cube so I could bleach everything and soak it in hot water. Unfortunately the plastic plants and gravel never came clean! So Dragonfly got new gravel and new silk plants :-D

Here are some pictures of his tank with the new setup! The rock bridge will be leaving his tank, since I have getting a second Betta soon ;-) And will go into the new guys tank.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he is still gorgeous :-D sorry to hear about the tank :(
Thanks! He is looking MUCH better now that his tank is clean :-D Before his fins seemed somewhat clamped, and now his tail is always fanned out. Really happy he is doing better!

Ugh yeah, is was so gross smelling. It's in my room, and ALL you could smell was salt when you walked into my room.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amazing! How are those tanks? Do they come with filters?
Love the tank! Unfortunately the lid that is made for them is not available in Canada, so I made my own out of craft mesh :)

The brown box in the middle is the filter! The filters are so cheap too.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
wow, my room smelled like rotten dead animal before o-o because of an experiment i had for feeding fries (it worked though, that's why sparta is here with me :) )
happy to here he is doing much better :-D

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, my room smelled like rotten dead animal before o-o because of an experiment i had for feeding fries (it worked though, that's why sparta is here with me :) )
happy to here he is doing much better :-D
Haha! My Mom might have killed me if my room smelled like rotten dead animal :-?

Thanks! :-D Hope his ripped fins re-grow

·
Registered
19 Posts
Beautiful fish!

Just a word of caution, you might not want to use bleach as a cleaning agent for tanks because it can remain behind and be harmful to your fish. Vinegar would be your best bet as it is plant-based and the acid cleans off whatever it is. Just a thought. Still, Dragon has a beautiful home. :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beautiful fish!

Just a word of caution, you might not want to use bleach as a cleaning agent for tanks because it can remain behind and be harmful to your fish. Vinegar would be your best bet as it is plant-based and the acid cleans off whatever it is. Just a thought. Still, Dragon has a beautiful home. :)
Bleach was my last resort :-( Vinegar did NOT do the trick at all! Didn't help one bit.

The beach was basically 1 part bleach to 16 parts water :) Plus after I used the bleach, I rinsed everything with hot water, and then soaked everything in hot water as well! I'm paranoid haha :-D

·
Registered
19 Posts
LOL. Good good. I'm paranoid myself and right now, I'm sort of worried about Zero. I just moved him into a 5-gallon tank and the filter's too strong and I'm wondering if I should replace the filter or just not have a filter at all. >.<;; Mer. Any thoughts on the matter? I used to have bettas who didn't mind the current at all...but Zero, the poor dear, is just...well..overwhelmed, I think (I had to change his water today anyway, so I figurerd moving him into a tank 5 times larger than his last one would be okay.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL. Good good. I'm paranoid myself and right now, I'm sort of worried about Zero. I just moved him into a 5-gallon tank and the filter's too strong and I'm wondering if I should replace the filter or just not have a filter at all. >.<;; Mer. Any thoughts on the matter? I used to have bettas who didn't mind the current at all...but Zero, the poor dear, is just...well..overwhelmed, I think (I had to change his water today anyway, so I figurerd moving him into a tank 5 times larger than his last one would be okay.
Why don't you baffle the filter? :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why don't you baffle the filter? :)
I would but I've never done that before and therefore I don't know how to do so. Would you happen to know how and if so, tell me? I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would but I've never done that before and therefore I don't know how to do so. Would you happen to know how and if so, tell me? I'd greatly appreciate it! :)
Im pretty sure there is a thread or sticky with how to do so! I can try and find it

·
Registered
19 Posts
OMG, you are awesome! Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also, is there a way to make the water get pulled in less through the filter, because I think that's pretty strong too - for Zero I mean.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, is there a way to make the water get pulled in less through the filter, because I think that's pretty strong too - for Zero I mean.
Your welcome! :-D

Hmm I think some filters you can turn down the flow, I really don't know. The Fluval Chi doesn't have a flow switch, plus it isn't too strong. Sorry!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your welcome! :-D

Hmm I think some filters you can turn down the flow, I really don't know. The Fluval Chi doesn't have a flow switch, plus it isn't too strong. Sorry!
No worries! yeah, my topfin doesn't have a switch to slow it down, so I'll probably find something to help. LOL. Maybe a sponge, but I'll have ot be careful about that, I take it. We'll see how it goes. Again, thank you!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts