Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still relatively new to the aquarium world, so this maybe silly. Driftwood. Can I uses any ol'driftwood? I live 2 minutes from Provo Canyon and could easily find some. I've hear of boiling to get so something out of it, would that be an ok thing to do? If getting any driftwood is not ok, where is the best place to get some? I think i saw some at my lfs but it had a large price tag on it. :/

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
You can use any old driftwood as long as it's actually driftwood and not just rotted logs or branches. :) yes the boiling technique is good but if you get it from the wild I would keep it in a bucket for a week or so in regular hot tap water, change the water everyday. Not just to release the tannins but in case any parasites decided they wanted to hitch hike ;-)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yay!!! Now I have an activity for me and my 3 tag-a-longs aka my niece and nephews I'm watching.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Ahaha yup! Sure would be fun! Which reminds me...I've got to go Kayaking to see what I can dig up from my local river :-D

Oh that reminds me too! Careful where you dig things up, sometimes you can be trespassing and not even know it! It's also illegal many places to take things/plants from rivers/lakes/ponds etc. But if you know the people or whoever owns the land, then you should be all set :-D

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know. We unfortunately didn't go tonight. We went bowling. My sister had a living social deal. Lol hopefully tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Oh cool, wish I went bowling! haha, actually I'm terrible at bowling XD I can do the 'between-the-leg-toss-the-ball' deal haha But that's cool! Good luck on finding your driftwood! Maybe if you find enough you can sell it to members here too! I'm not sure if there are any stipulations to that either, but it's certainly worth a shot :-D

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha! One of my P.E. sections was bowling. We had an alley across the street from my school. It was so much fun!! I actually got good at bowling. But that was 8 years ago. Lets just say my son was beating me for a while.
Hmmmm that's a thought. I'll for sure will have to go look for some driftwood tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Lol nice, we never had fun things during gym class at our high school. And the closest Bowling Alley was 35 minutes away lol

I would totally be interested in some small pieces of driftwood if you found any, I need some for my smaller tanks :-D *Crosses fingers and hopes you find some* lol

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Ahaha, never went I assume then XD good luck on your search!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts