Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Canada and going on a trip to Buffalo. Plan to get lights and other fish stuff. Of course I'm bound to see bettas. I know it's illegal to take a fish past the border correct? But, is there a way to take a Betta back to Canada? It's just a pet, I won't be doing anything fishy with it ;-)

The drives about 2 hours. Best way to transport it? I'm guessing somewhere dark and stable so it would be splashing around.

Thanks you.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who told you its illegal?
As long as the animal i not CITES or a sussceptable speciez youre good to go.
Read this.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals...uatic-animals/eng/1331906471842/1331908089467
Print that page out. Bring it with you. Print something that proves the scientific name of the fish you want to crosss with.
Easy as pie.
Half the time they dont ask if you have anything anyway.
What would you print out that proves the scientific name of a Betta?

I may be over thinking.. Why would they care so much if I have a Betta addiction :lol:

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It's a lot easier to go back into Canada with a fish, coming into the US is much more of an issue. Ornamental fish can even be viewed as dangerous and can be taken to be euthanized if the vehicle is searched and the animal is not claimed. But going back into Canada, you guys are much more lax about that stuff, especially if you have the receipt for it; they're pretty good with that if you get searched.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think you can probably find any article that shows a picture and the scientific name, along with information about them, and it would probably be fine.

Obviously Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source, but something similar to the betta splendens wiki page would work well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siamese_fighting_fish

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a lot easier to go back into Canada with a fish, coming into the US is much more of an issue. Ornamental fish can even be viewed as dangerous and can be taken to be euthanized if the vehicle is searched and the animal is not claimed. But going back into Canada, you guys are much more lax about that stuff, especially if you have the receipt for it; they're pretty good with that if you get searched.
Good to know, thank you. I'll make sure to have all receipts. :)

I think you can probably find any article that shows a picture and the scientific name, along with information about them, and it would probably be fine.
Hahaha Wikipedia. But yes! Thank you. I'll print one out soon.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Betta get shipped for longer than 2 hours if you get a large fish bag and bring a styofoam or plastic cooler to keep a steady temp you should be fine. If you have a rest stop for any length of time the cooler would have to come inside whereever to avoid overheating the betta.

·
Registered
375 Posts
90% of the time they wont even ask what you have. Lol
Ive crossed hundreds of times and never had an issue. Brought fish and fish supplies back to canada plenty.
Usually i just bring bettas home in the cups they come in, no issue.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Betta get shipped for longer than 2 hours if you get a large fish bag and bring a styofoam or plastic cooler to keep a steady temp you should be fine. If you have a rest stop for any length of time the cooler would have to come inside whereever to avoid overheating the betta.
Great thank you. I'm going to avoid any stops anyways, I've driven for 24 hours straight with only a few stops. I think we'll be okay with none for a 2 hour drive ;-)

90% of the time they wont even ask what you have. Lol
Ive crossed hundreds of times and never had an issue. Brought fish and fish supplies back to canada plenty.
Usually i just bring bettas home in the cups they come in, no issue.
I may be over thinking it. :roll: I just don't want to be put in the situation where they take away the fish or something.. But thanks for the info. Was lots of help :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts