Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
Long-time lurker, first time posting.

I looked through the threads, but I'm still unsure what's wrong with my guy, "Little Red." Help?

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
2.5 Gallons
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What temperature is your tank?
It usually stays around 75 degrees F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No, but I do have 5 tiny moss balls in his tank.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Tetra BettaMin
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Flakes
Freeze-dried?
Mixture of tiny red flakes and freeze-dried brine shrimp
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
once a day, a tiny pinch of food, I usually fast him on Wednesdays

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
once a week about 25% water change, once every 2 month 100% water change
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
with the 25% change, just dip out. With the 100% change, I transfer him to another small tank and dump the old tank out, scrub, clean with a white vinegar solution, rinse, then refill.
What additives do you use?
API Aquarium salt, Top Fin water conditioner, and I've treated him with API Melafix in the past for fin rot and popeye.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Theses are the most exact readings I could get with my test strips. Sorry :(
The guys at my local aquarium store don't speak english, so I don't know how to ask for the correct test kit.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:0.5
Nitrate:20
pH:7.5
Hardness (GH):180
Alkalinity (KH): 120-180

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
Wednesday 10/21/2015 around 10am when got home from work
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
He looks like there's a tiny pea or pebble sticking out of his belly, like he's bloated. He also looks pale around his face, and his body color isn't as bright
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
He became very lethargic and sort of listless. he seems to be off balance when swimming. He just lays at the bottom of the tank.
Is your Betta still eating?
No he doesn't show much interest in food
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Yes. at first I thought it was dropsy, but after some more online research I thought he might be bloated or constipated (it is possible I overfed him one day last week).
I did a 100% water change, on Wednesday afternoon, cleaned his tank (it was due for it anyway). When I refilled it, I kept the water level low (the tank is currently about 1/3 full) so he didn't have to swim so hard for air.
Starting Thursday 10/22/2015, I fasted him until today (10/25/2015) when I tried to feed him a tiny tiny bit of blanched pea.
He shows no interest in the pea bits. I've done about a 25-50% water change in the current tank every day since Wednesday.

Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
Sort of, when I first got him, he had been dropped in his container and his fins were shredded when the first owner tried to scoop him back up.
Also, I had him for about 4 months before I learned/realized he needed a filter, so he got some fin rot and popeye.
I quickly replaced his tank with a larger one with a filter and a heater and treated with Melafix. He's been fine ever since.

How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue?
I've had him since Friday June 13, 2014. I rescued him from a former coworker who was given him as a gift. (terrible terrible idea, never give someone a pet as a gift.)

These are the best pics I could get of him this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi LittleStar.

Thank you. I did see that thread. I just wanted a second (or third) opinion on what the other more experienced Betta owners thought was wrong. I don't want to treat my little guy for the wrong thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I did some more reading. Went to my local fish store and bought some Daphnia. I think he ate a piece of it.
Did another clean of his regular tank. I'm waiting for the new water to cycle/get to the right temp now. He's resting in his smaller "cleaning tank" where I'm closely monitoring him and the water temp.

I was also able to get a clearer picture of him in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
It does look like his scales are pineconing. which means its dropsy. You want to get Seachem Kanaplex. it can be found at local fish stores or online.

In general you were not doing enough water changes. A filter and cycled 2.5 gallon needs two 50% water changes a week. Keep in mind that your tank is actually not cycled since you have nitrites present in your tank. In that case I would be doing at least 3 or more 50% water changes until your tank is cycled per week.

Flakes a generally not good to feed bettas. You can want to feed a good quality pellet that is low in fillers. The best brands are Omega One Or New Life Spectrum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts