Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was given a bowl for a betta about 4 weeks ago. I was uncomfortable with the bowl as it didn't fit my usual requirements for a betta home but when ahead and used it anyway as it was a gift. The water has been changed weekly and replaced water from my 240L community tank. Unfortunately my bettas fins began to develop white tips 2 weeks ago and in the last couple of days my betta has developed a swollen abdomen and appears to be missing some scales on his topside. I've now placed him in my community tank to improve water conditions but I'm not sure it was the right thing to do.

Housing
What size is your tank? Previous 2.5L now 240L
What temperature is your tank? Previous 25C now 26C
Does your tank have a filter? Previous no now hang on back filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Previous none now serpae, widow, neon tetras, corydoras, featherfin cat, 3 rainbow sharks.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Previous bettamin and blood worm now tropical fish flakes, blood worm, formulated frozen community food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Previous one daily now tank is fed twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? 100% water change but water is replaced with water from community aquarium. Water was treated with seachem betta safe but main tank is treated with stresscoat and properph7

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Water in bowel was not tested although I suspect it was terrible as it has an offensive smell
Main tank
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7
Hardness: na
Alkalinity: na

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Parts of tail have changed red to purple, fin tips have turned white, swollen abdomen
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Fin changed two weeks ago, swelling 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Moved fish to community aquarium to improve water quality
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Purchased from pet store 1 month ago so approx 10months

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
I fear the worst for this little guy, so I'd also like a second opinion.

For now, I don't like keeping him in the community tank as I believe that an epsom salt treatment would be best for him (1 tsp per gallon) plus if his bloating is a result of bacterial infections, he could (or probably has) contaminated that tank.

Would it be possible to get him into a larger container than his bowl, something around 7L and treat him in that. Daily water changes (as close to 100% as you can get) and some Epsom salt and see how he progresses?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts