Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hi all!
So I'm new to this site and I've been reading some other posts trying to see if they solve the answer to my question, but unfortunately they don't!
I've had my fish, Cinnamonbuddy, for 2 years now. He is a male beta fish, and he and I have become close over these two years. I bought him from Petsmart when he seemed to be very injured from fin rot.
Now, after 2 years, I have a feeling that his life is ending. About a week ago I noticed that he was floating on his side with an EXTREMELY bloated belly! I took some photos of him to petsmart and they diagnosed it as swim bladder, and told me it was nothing to be worried about. They gave me some aquarium salt to put in his tank, and told me how to treat him. I put him in an isolated tank with the salt, and after about 20 minutes in his salt bath he already started to seem better! He was more lively that I have ever had him!
But now I'm starting to get a little worried. It's been about a week since that happened and I'm already noticing him acting weird again. He used to float at the top of his tank, but now he is floating at the bottom, he won't eat, his scales look like they are starting to "pine cone", and his belly has gone from bright bright red to a very pale grey. I've been looking online to see if I can diagnose him myself with a disease, but nothing matches up properly. The closest thing I can diagnose him to is dropsy, but even that isn't making a whole bunch of sense because he is no where near bloated. Please help!

As of right now he is isolated in a gallon sized tank that is being heated to 80 degrees. I haven't fed him because he won't eat it and I don't want excess ammonia in his hospital tank. He just lays against the bowl and doesn't come up unless it's for air. PLEASE HELP!

ALSO PLEASE READ THIS: I noticed a couple of times where he would put his mouth to the gravel in his tank and his tail up. Then he just sits there. If that helps with anything!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Unfortunately yes, that is dropsy and there's not much you can do :(

You can attempt to medicate him with kanaplex... but dropsy is usually fatal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Agree, that photo looks like dropsy :( How long have his scales been raised, the whole time you've been isolating him or is this more recent? I'd actually try epsom salt, if you can get it, the plain unscented kind you can find at CVS/pharmacy for less than $10. The measuring is here: http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/salt-baths.html Epsom salt draws out fluid, so it'll help him with his swelling, at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cinnamon buddy already died. I had noticed how weird he was acting just today too! Wow, it really shows how quickly it can harm them. Thanks for all of your help though, it was much appreciated.

And to answer your question, I put him in the spare bowl about 2 hours after I noticed his symptoms because I needed to let the new water sit and get to the temperature of his original tank. I had also put some stress coat and aquarium salt in it that I wanted to let sit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, Katy :(

Dropsy is like Roxy said nearly always fatal, I've personally never experienced any survivors from it. I'm sure Cinnamon buddy was a very happy fish with you, and you tried to do right by him to help him out when he wasn't feeling well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts