Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I posted almost two weeks ago about the girls in my sorority having dropsy. I lost 4 out of 7. I separated them, but they died one by one. But here’s the bright spot. The one that I posted about last, this pretty purple girl, seems to have recovered.

Here she is on April 18th. Her scales are pineconing which you can see on the sides she was lethargic and not eating. I put her in a hospital vase with a tiny heater, an almond leaf, and put 2 drops of betta revive in the water twice a day. I only put a tiny amount of brine shrimp in the vase and then only fed her very tiny amounts once every 3 days. I changed 1/3 of the water every other day.

Here she is on April 19th. She’s lost a lot of her color and you can see the pineconing is getting more pronounced.

by the 21st, I was sure she was a goner. But I kept putting the Betta revive twice a day in her little hospital vase, keeping the water very warm and changing out 1/3 of the water every other day. Then I went out of town for two days. My husband continued to put in the betta revive.

But then, this weekend, she started getting her color back. And she actually ate a few pieces of fish food. Here she is today, on Monday, the 26th. I don't understand how the pineconing went away. I've never had that happen before.

She actually looks like her normal self. I’m cautiously optimistic...everything I have read about dropsy and experienced myself made it seem hopeless, that it's a result of organ failure, which irreversible, and I’m worried it’s only a temporary recovery... but is it possible she’s cured?
Was it luck? Her treatment? Just a really strong and feisty betta? I have no idea.
So, what do I do now? I’m afraid to put her in the old tank because she is fragile, an d I'm worried the other two surviving bettas will attack her. But she can't live forever in a tiny vase with no filter.
What should I do?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
828 Posts
Hi there. Generally dropsy is a symptom of organ failure, but can also be a symptom of a bacterial infection under the genus Aeromonas. Seems you have a bacterial infection in your tanks as nothing else would explain them all going into organ failure. Do you happen to know the ingredients on betta revive? If I were you, I would separate out all the girls into quarantine tanks bleach the sorority tank before re-adding them. Treat them all with the medication, even if they are not showing symptoms to be safe. They will be fine in the tiny vase with the 1/3 water changes. I use sterilte bins I get for $3 each at walmart for my quarentine tubs.

How are the remaining two doing?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Very good to read!
I hope you don‘t mind if I answer Russells question as I was also curious about Betta Revive. I put the explanation of the not so commonly known ingredients in italics.

Ingredients Betta Revive:
Water, neomycin sulfate (<10%) (Antibiotic gram positive & negative), methylene blue (<0.5%), proprietary polymer mixture, buffers, EDTA (chelating agent; attaches itself to heavy metals and carries the metals from the fish body; can also slow free-radical activity produced by heavy metals in the body), malachite green chloride (<0.01%), cyanocobalamin (Vit.B12 supplier), electrolytes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts