Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and hope to benefit from your expertise!
I suspect my betta has dropsy. Has been "bloated" just behind pectoral fins (when viewed from above, but not noticeable from side) for several months but otherwise completely normal behavior/eating OK. Thought/treated for constipation - fasting, peas cycle over several weeks. However, distension continued to get worse but scales were always flat and behavior normal. Until about 5 days ago - stopped eating, problem maintaining equilibrium, pine-coning scales. Typically perform 50% water change every week, sometimes every 2 weeks.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? about 78 deg.
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x/day; 2-3 pellets per feeding

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 1-2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% - occasionally more if doing gravel clean/filter
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat, Quick Start; Buffer Up if alkalinity low

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

(tested with 6-test color-change strips)
Ammonia: acceptable range
Nitrite: acceptable range
Nitrate: acceptable range
pH: 6.8-7.0
Hardness: sometimes runs high but typically don't adjust
Alkalinity: sometimes runs low - typically adjusted

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bloating not contained to area under/behind pectoral fins; bloating now extended throughout body with pine coning scales; color fading; esp on head/cheeks; some red patches on cheeks over gills

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Sudden as above; stopped eating, trouble maintaining equilibrium/position in water. laying on bottom of tank or on plants. labored respiration

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5 days ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nothing yet but planning 1 tsp/gallon Epsom salt

Does your fish have any history of being ill? no

How old is your fish (approximately)? have owed about a year and a half - purchased at fish store

Attachments

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
he looks like dropsy to me, also looks like his fins have issues too. Has he got a tail? Looks like he is missing it from pictures. To be honest I think he is too far gone for recovery the only thing you can do is make him comfortable.

I think he also needs something to treat his fins he has some form of rot going on. I am not sure if you can use a treatment while using Epsom's but hopefully someone with more experience will be able to advise on that.

I would go ahead and start the Epsom's and also look at doing a few extra water changes to help him feel more comfortable. I actually always clean the gravel with my weekly water change.

considering he is on the tail end of his life (no pun intended) his condition may well be caused by old age anyway. Sorry I don't mean to be depressing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - he does indeed have a full tail, you just can't see it in the pics (he was laying on it in the pic of him on the bottom). Just put him in a 2.5g "hospital tank" with 1 teaspoon/gallon Epsom salt and some silk plants so he could rest on something closer to surface.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Great call on the ES salt... I would bump up the dosage to 2.5 tsp for the whole tank. This is no time for playing it safe!!

Dropsy is a symptom, not a disease - essentially, he's having organ failure. It's usually not something fish come back from... But you always want to do what you can!

I would go ASAP and get an antibiotic. I believe API Triple Sulfa is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. There may be something gross and bacterial going on in his insides, and hitting it fast and hard may bring him back!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is API Triple Sulfa easy to find? I was trying to find Kanaplex and sadly nowhere near me in stores. If similar situation with the API Triple Sulfa, what is next best tx? Maracyn / II ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Meant to also add that we have had snails cropping up off/on for about a year. is it possible for them to contribute parasites?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Probably not, on the snails...

If you have API products, you should be able to get it.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
there is a new product range over here, by a company called blue planet, I have heard others say it is pretty good, might be worth looking in there range for a fin rot treatment. If you cant get the others, You should be able to get API over here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all - thank you all so much for your prompt responses, interest, and expertise! Sadly and despite our best (collective) efforts at intervention, our little guy lost his battle on Tuesday. He was a great pet for us and gave our daughter a lot of joy. We don't think we're going to replace him right away, but will eventually try again having gained additional insight and wisdom from the Forum to add to our experience bank! RIP Starvin' Marvin. :cry:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Sorry for your loss, but you know you did the best for him and that's all you can do.

He did live to a reasonable age, so I would put it down to that as well.

Glad the forum helped and you have valuable knowledge for any new betta's you may purchase in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts