Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted recently about some fun damage to my male betta, Neptune. I moved him to a quarantine tank to help his fin recover and he really perked up! Unfortunately today while doing a water change I noticed some pineconing on his belly ;((( is this the dropsy? He is still eating and his energy is good + he’s moving around normally. If this is dropsy, is there anything I can do?

·
Super Moderator
586 Posts
oh no! sorry he is having more trouble, can you fill out a new form please? Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh no! sorry he is having more trouble, can you fill out a new form please? Thank you!
Housing: normal tank
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
Amano shrimp, corydora catfish, snails

Housing: quarantine tank
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega one Betta buffet
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? Freeze dried blood worms as a treat
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day now that he is sick but before it was once a day with treats now and again. I feed him as much as he will eat in 60 seconds.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 1/2 - 1/3
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Stress coat, aquarium salt, ph down (because my tap water ph runs high)

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2
Hardness (GH): 5-10 (don’t have an exact number because I use test strip)
Alkalinity (KH): not sure

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Bloated and pine cones
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Resting more and swimming near the top. But he is still interested in food will still swim up to me to say hi
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Not yet I’m not sure what I can do if he does have dropsy
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Yes he is in a quarantine tank because of fin nipping
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Super Moderator
586 Posts
I would give him an epsom salt dip. 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. I use a 1 gallon container with either water from the tank or temp matched conditioned water. Leave him in for around 15 mins or until he looks stressed. return him to the tank but do not pour the salt in. You can do this twice a day if he takes it well.
Do you have aquarium salt in the tank all the time or just because of the nipping? I would probably stop the use of aquarium salt for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts