How many gallons is your tank?
2.5, but he's been in a 1 gallon bowl for about the past month
Does it have a filter?
No
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What temperature is your tank?
78°-82°F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
None

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Hikari
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets
Freeze-dried?
Nope
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
Once or twice per day, five pellets if once and four pellets each time if twice.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Once a week.
What percentage of water did you change?
Usually between 30-40%.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
Dip out the water, but I haven't put any substrate in the bowl he's been in.
What additives do you use?
Kordon AmQuel Plus Ammonia Detoxifier and Tetra BettaSafe.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.
Unsure; haven't had water tested since I noticed that something was up.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
He was looking a little dull a week or so ago, but because he'd just come back to college with me after winter break I figured it was stress from the move/drive.
How has your Betta's appearance changed?
Much duller than usual, particularly around the head. I've noticed a few whitish areas but I'm not sure if it's part of the dullness or possibly due to ich. His tail also looks like it's drooping, and although they aren't clamped his fins in general look tattered.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
He's spending a lot of time floating around near the top of the water, by the sides of the tank. His swimming is sometimes twitchy and erratic, and occasionally he'll suddenly dart down to the bottom and then come right back up. Sometimes he hangs around the heater.
Is your Betta still eating?
A couple of times he hasn't seemed interested in food, but when I'd try again maybe a half hour later he would eat like normal.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Changed a little more than half of the water in the bowl, other than that nothing yet.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
Not so far as I know, but he did come from PetSmart.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue?
Around 6 or 7 months. He looked a little dull when I first brought him home but brightened up fairly quickly, and it wasn't to this degree.

I'm really hoping I can give this little guy the help he needs. The first couple pictures are from late July, while the rest are from tonight. He darkened up and has been looking sort of indigo since November. I've kept him in the bowl for the time being both to avoid stressing him further by moving him, and so that if I need to change the water more frequently it will be easier.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Normally raised white bumps coming up from under the scales is lymphocytis.
The betta in this picture has a more advanced case of it

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=348826&stc=1&d=1399200911

The water changes need to be more frequent and now that he has this problem much more frequent. Really clean water can help put and keep the condition in remission. I was successful in remitting the early condition in one fish before by changing his water every other day. I keep him in bare bottom tank and make sure to suck out any poop I see daily and he gets a few small water changes during the week and it's a five gallon.

You can be aggressive with treatment and try Kanaplex. I have read at least one article (I tried to find it for you but no luck) that said early and immediate treatment with Kanplex can get rid of it. It was written in another country. If you google about it most articles will say there is no treatment but clean water.

You could also use something like Betta revive I've seen that work before also but it didn't work long term. It's the first thing I thought of since the bumps don't look really raised. His fins look kind of ragged so either treatment would address that also (you will want to treat that even if it's with clean water and AQ salt)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't look like it's lymphocystis, but I'll keep an eye out to see if they raise more dramatically. I'm really not sure if they are actual lumps, or something else entirely. I'll definitely do a water change with some AQ salt tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.