Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am new to this forum and so far I am loving it but I do have a question about my male dumbo betta, I bought him about a month ago from a local fish store, when I purchased him and put him in his tank, he would always seem very sad, and I don't know... floppy?! As if he is weak, I've been keeping an eye on him and he does not seem sick, eating regularly.

I bought him a betta log along with soft plants for him to rest on if he needs to, he really likes his betta log and I think it perked him up a bit, but he still acts as if his fins are too heavy for him lol. My other halfmoon dumbo behaves the same way but is a bit more active. Is this common for dumbo bettas?

If not can someone please give me tips, or information!! Thanks

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I don't know if it's common for dumbo's to be sluggish but it's got to take a lot of energy to move those pectoral fins around. He's been in a cup most of his life, maybe he just needs to get used to the extra swimming space and is just feeling the weight of the extra finage. If he's eating well and has plenty of places near the surface to rest, I'm sure he'll be fine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
bettas DO get bored as well. its odd to think a FISH would be bored but they do get that way. How much "stuff" is in your tank> honestly the more the better as it keeps the betta engaged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has a few silk plants that float up the surface that sort of branch out so he can swim through without a problem and rest on them if he needs, he also owns a betta log, a betta bed hammock, and fake (but safe) lily pads... is there anything I should add? or remove?

·
Super Moderator
22,093 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Can you post a photo of him and of his tank? I have two EE with heavy finnage and both are extremely active. However, I bought them from importers who kept them in barracks so they were used to having room to move before I got them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts