Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if I need to lower the pH of my tanks before adding any German blue rams, which are some of my dream fish.

I have a pH of about 7.6-7.8 ... I know most fish adapt well to it, but I also know that rams are very sensitive and delicate fish, so I dont know what I should do, try to acclimate them to my normal pH or try to lower the pH.

If I do go the route of lowering pH, what is suggested? I know peat moss is commonly used, but there are also chemicals for it? Should I just mix distilled water in with my tap to help a bit?

What's the recommended pH to lower it to? I know rams are suggested to be kept between 5-6pH, but I think the lowest I'd like to try to go is 7?? Not sure.

I did "accidently" win an auction for 4 of them, so they will be here sometime next week and I'm getting a little worried about it. My plan is to move all my bettas, endlers, and cories out of the 28 and into my fry grow-out since no fry are currently using it, and putting the GBR's in with 2 of my bristlenose plecos. It's a very well established tank, has been running for about atleast 8 months now and has an aquaclear 50 HOB with a ton of hiding places, live plants, and driftwood in it. -- if anything sounds like it should be added/changed, let me know!

Oh, whats the best choice of food for them? Should I try cichlid pellets or just some flake food?

Any other advice?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I think they would do best on frozen food. Keep the water temperature at 80-84 degrees. They love it hot! Do you have a cave? GBRs need them so they can lay their eggs. Flakes will be fine for food.

7 ph I think will be okay.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, 82 was my plan and I have a ton of caves and plants for them.
What type of frozen food would be best? I have a ton of different options, same with flakes and pellets.

What's the best way to try to lower the pH? Peat, chemicals, ro/di water?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Actually, high-quality flakes would be fine. I'm not really sure about lowering the PH since I have never had to before.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I talked to the seller and keeps them in near the same pH as me and they do well for him so I imagine I won't REALLY need to worry about it too much. I'll just add a little bit of peat to my filter if need be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts