Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about my betta awhile ago, then got him a larger tank with live plants and he improved. A few weeks ago I treated him for parasites using general cure, then he showed signs of ich (white dots on his face) and I gave him methylene green for one day but then the dots were gone and he was not acting right.

I changed 75% of his water, checked the parameters and everything is perfect but he has not eaten in over a week, has gotten thinner and is losing scales. He has been sitting at the bottom of the tank or leaning on the filter housing. I have been doing 25% water changes every 3 days but he is not improving. I have just put him in a small hospital tank so he doesn't have to fight to swim.

He is thin, losing scales, pale and I have no idea what to do for him. I have maracyn 2, erythromycin, fungal cure and other meds but do not know what he needs. It is not velvet or dropsy, he is not swollen, no gold or white fuzz on him.

I will try to get pictures of him soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Purple Organism Aquarium

Here is a picture of him-the white dot near his dorsal fin is a missing scale

·
Banned
688 Posts
You're poisoning him by over medicating. If ich is only a mild case, then sometimes it goes on its own. Stop with the medicine and just keep his water clean. Give him frozen bloodworms to pick up his appetite

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Do you mind if I ask for a top down picture of him? It is easier to tell their weight that way.

Scale loss is a tricky one. Your boy might have scratced them off by flashing or it might be another cause, scales dont leave easily and are heavily embedded in the skin.

Now I do recommend that you stop using the malachite green for the moment and let him sit in his water, this spot though intrigues me. If you could be sure to get a picture of it in the top down perspective as well it would be appreciated Is it flush to his body or raised? slimy or fuzzy?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fish Tail Organism Newt Fish

I only gave him the malachite green for one day over 2 weeks ago and as soon as I saw him become sluggish I did a water change. He has had no medications for over 2 weeks but will not eat.

The white spots are not slimy or fuzzy-they are the absence of scales. On the side of his body not in the picture is a scale that is lifting up.

He seems a bit better in the hospital tank-no filter causing a current to fight. He leans to the side a lot but at least he has not been sitting on the bottom since I moved him.

I will try the frozen bloodworms although I have read a lot of posts stating they contain black worms. His favorite food is dried bloodworms (he hates pellets) but he has been refusing to eat those as well.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If they are missing scales the issue will be working out how he lost them, if he scratched them off then they will grow back without intervention, however if the spots became infected or something is pushing them off the culrpit needs to be tracked down.

Your boy is a nice healthy weight which is a good thing- if he was undersized we would be racing the clock to fix him so he would eat properly again.

normally i would recommend AQ salt for his scales however since he is sluggish I am going to assume he might have an internal issue- the rule is to always treat the inside problems first, so I instead suggest Epsom salts- these are a natural organ buffer and will also help to detox him, so if he is harboring an upset stomach or mild infection this will help him kick it over a little quicker while we assess if he needs something stronger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Taeanna for the suggestion, I looked into salt baths but I do not think he is strong enough for one at the moment but he did eat one frozen (and defrosted) bloodworm today which is progress since he has eaten nothing in 2 weeks. I will continue change his water and feed him bloodworms until he seems stronger and then an Epsom salt bath sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Epsom salts (not bath salts- they often have additives) are extremely mild, so you need not worry about them damaging his system. if anything they are like a detoxing that also have added health benefits, plus they can be added directly into the tank without hurting the plants (if you have any) so theres no trauma of moving him around.

I am glad to hear he has given food a try, a big step.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: those patches that were not fuzzy now are. It looks like he has fungus on the left side of his body and a bit on his right. The spot I thought was a missing scale is now quite white and fuzzy. I have fungus cure but have not used it before-I do not know how harsh it is or if it will make him worse.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If it is fuzzy the first step is indeed a fungus cure, I suggest taking out the epsom salts from his water and treating the patches with the medication you have on hand.

if they do not respond to treatment we might need to look into other sources for the fuzz, but as with all things you start with the most gentle treatment and then work up from there.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
The usage is 1 tablespoon per gallon for mild and three tablespoons for hardcore treatment. In your case use about 2.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He is in his hospital tank and I gave him the first treatment 2 days ago, he gets another one later tonight (his water is now bright green from the medication but he doesn't seem to mind). He has not eaten again but is a bit more active.

There is no sign of fuzz in his regular tank which I have kept the water circulating because of the live plants. The plants even have new growth since I got them. I can treat that tank too-I have enough of the medication; I do not know if the source of the fungus is in that tank (live plants, driftwood, pebbles)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts