Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about my betta awhile ago, then got him a larger tank with live plants and he improved. A few weeks ago I treated him for parasites using general cure, then he showed signs of ich (white dots on his face) and I gave him methylene green for one day but then the dots were gone and he was not acting right.

I changed 75% of his water, checked the parameters and everything is perfect but he has not eaten in over a week, has gotten thinner and is losing scales. He has been sitting at the bottom of the tank or leaning on the filter housing. I have been doing 25% water changes every 3 days but he is not improving. I have just put him in a small hospital tank so he doesn't have to fight to swim.

He is thin, losing scales, pale and I have no idea what to do for him. I have maracyn 2, erythromycin, fungal cure and other meds but do not know what he needs. It is not velvet or dropsy, he is not swollen, no gold or white fuzz on him.

I will try to get pictures of him soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Purple Organism Aquarium

Here is a picture of him-the white dot near his dorsal fin is a missing scale

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fish Tail Organism Newt Fish

I only gave him the malachite green for one day over 2 weeks ago and as soon as I saw him become sluggish I did a water change. He has had no medications for over 2 weeks but will not eat.

The white spots are not slimy or fuzzy-they are the absence of scales. On the side of his body not in the picture is a scale that is lifting up.

He seems a bit better in the hospital tank-no filter causing a current to fight. He leans to the side a lot but at least he has not been sitting on the bottom since I moved him.

I will try the frozen bloodworms although I have read a lot of posts stating they contain black worms. His favorite food is dried bloodworms (he hates pellets) but he has been refusing to eat those as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Taeanna for the suggestion, I looked into salt baths but I do not think he is strong enough for one at the moment but he did eat one frozen (and defrosted) bloodworm today which is progress since he has eaten nothing in 2 weeks. I will continue change his water and feed him bloodworms until he seems stronger and then an Epsom salt bath sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: those patches that were not fuzzy now are. It looks like he has fungus on the left side of his body and a bit on his right. The spot I thought was a missing scale is now quite white and fuzzy. I have fungus cure but have not used it before-I do not know how harsh it is or if it will make him worse.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He is in his hospital tank and I gave him the first treatment 2 days ago, he gets another one later tonight (his water is now bright green from the medication but he doesn't seem to mind). He has not eaten again but is a bit more active.

There is no sign of fuzz in his regular tank which I have kept the water circulating because of the live plants. The plants even have new growth since I got them. I can treat that tank too-I have enough of the medication; I do not know if the source of the fungus is in that tank (live plants, driftwood, pebbles)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.