Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Do you mind if I ask for a top down picture of him? It is easier to tell their weight that way.

Scale loss is a tricky one. Your boy might have scratced them off by flashing or it might be another cause, scales dont leave easily and are heavily embedded in the skin.

Now I do recommend that you stop using the malachite green for the moment and let him sit in his water, this spot though intrigues me. If you could be sure to get a picture of it in the top down perspective as well it would be appreciated Is it flush to his body or raised? slimy or fuzzy?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If they are missing scales the issue will be working out how he lost them, if he scratched them off then they will grow back without intervention, however if the spots became infected or something is pushing them off the culrpit needs to be tracked down.

Your boy is a nice healthy weight which is a good thing- if he was undersized we would be racing the clock to fix him so he would eat properly again.

normally i would recommend AQ salt for his scales however since he is sluggish I am going to assume he might have an internal issue- the rule is to always treat the inside problems first, so I instead suggest Epsom salts- these are a natural organ buffer and will also help to detox him, so if he is harboring an upset stomach or mild infection this will help him kick it over a little quicker while we assess if he needs something stronger.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Epsom salts (not bath salts- they often have additives) are extremely mild, so you need not worry about them damaging his system. if anything they are like a detoxing that also have added health benefits, plus they can be added directly into the tank without hurting the plants (if you have any) so theres no trauma of moving him around.

I am glad to hear he has given food a try, a big step.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If it is fuzzy the first step is indeed a fungus cure, I suggest taking out the epsom salts from his water and treating the patches with the medication you have on hand.

if they do not respond to treatment we might need to look into other sources for the fuzz, but as with all things you start with the most gentle treatment and then work up from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.