Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Amadeus, Newt, Starburst, and 2 Betta edithae.
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know that the wilds section isn’t active but hopefully some lurkers or future viewers find this interesting!

I currently have 4 betta edithae, all sourced from a local fish store. 1 is female & 3 are male, all living in a 20L, along with some sparkling gouramis. I don’t know what the recommended sex ratio is but with them being mouthbrooders and peaceful, this ratio has worked for me so far. For reference here is a photo of the tank, there are lots of java ferns & anubias plants, along with driftwood. I plan on adding some pots so there will be more hides but I haven’t gotten around to it quite yet.
Light Organism Pet supply Vegetation Plant

I’ve had them for a little bit (started with 2 males, finally got a female as well) and I love these fish so much. It is so interesting to watch them show off and interact. Here’s one of the males displaying:
Nature Water Organism Fish Underwater

Water Vertebrate Organism Fin Fish

I only got the female about a week or so ago and day before yesterday, I noticed she was a little round. Well, nature took its course and I guess she found a male up to her standards! When I checked on them today, she was guarding a male who had a veryyyy full mouth. Honestly, I think she looks rather proud of herself, lol. Here is her and her boy, she is the stripey one.

Organism Underwater Fish Marine biology Water

Water Organism Fin Underwater Fish

Water Underwater Fish Fin Marine biology

I am expecting him to swallow the eggs but I will try to update this thread if anything happens! Kind of hoping they won’t be be TOO successful of parents because I don’t know if there is a huge market for these guys because they are not as flashy but time will tell.

Thanks for reading and I hope it peaked your interest!

Attachments

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Jedi the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams and 6 tetras,3) my cat!
190 Posts
Oh ok!! i just love this betta species, but you can't find any in greece. I also love the set up. Waiting for updates and more pics!! (this female is soooooooo cute!!)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will absolutely provide updates as possible, I love talking about these bettas! And that’s too bad that they aren’t in Greece 😩 The female is absolutely precious, it’s been so cute watching her keep watch over him.

As for the wood, a lot of the thinner sticks are manzanita wood that I was blue to find locally! I was also able to find alder cones, some good leaves, all sorts of nice things. I just made sure to boil them so they would be safe. Being able to forage for some stuff definitely opens up the possibilities!

·
Registered
45 Posts
20 litres or gallons??
Exactly what I was thinking. Surely that tank can't be 20 litres it
Hi, I know that the wilds section isn’t active but hopefully some lurkers or future viewers find this interesting!

I currently have 4 betta edithae, all sourced from a local fish store. 1 is female & 3 are male, all living in a 20L, along with some sparkling gouramis. I don’t know what the recommended sex ratio is but with them being mouthbrooders and peaceful, this ratio has worked for me so far. For reference here is a photo of the tank, there are lots of java ferns & anubias plants, along with driftwood. I plan on adding some pots so there will be more hides but I haven’t gotten around to it quite yet.
View attachment 1036165

I’ve had them for a little bit (started with 2 males, finally got a female as well) and I love these fish so much. It is so interesting to watch them show off and interact. Here’s one of the males displaying:
View attachment 1036166
View attachment 1036167

I only got the female about a week or so ago and day before yesterday, I noticed she was a little round. Well, nature took its course and I guess she found a male up to her standards! When I checked on them today, she was guarding a male who had a veryyyy full mouth. Honestly, I think she looks rather proud of herself, lol. Here is her and her boy, she is the stripey one.

View attachment 1036168
View attachment 1036170
View attachment 1036169

I am expecting him to swallow the eggs but I will try to update this thread if anything happens! Kind of hoping they won’t be be TOO successful of parents because I don’t know if there is a huge market for these guys because they are not as flashy but time will tell.

Thanks for reading and I hope it peaked your interest!
Love the set up, those Bettas are so cute!

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Jedi the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams and 6 tetras,3) my cat!
190 Posts
I can't stop looking at the photos again and again and again... I just love this species!!!! I want them!!!!!!!!!!! Why aren't they available in greece?????????? 😭

·
Registered
Flash
416 Posts
I love that you have mouthbrooders!!!

Is this a blackwater set up? Can you post some details about temp, ph, gh, kh and the like?

It is really hard to find any bettas in my area except betta splendens, and I hate the thought of spending a ton of money to order fish through the mail from somewhere like California. Do you have a local breeder that you got them from?

I hope you don't mind all of the questions!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love that you have mouthbrooders!!!

Is this a blackwater set up? Can you post some details about temp, ph, gh, kh and the like?

It is really hard to find any bettas in my area except betta splendens, and I hate the thought of spending a ton of money to order fish through the mail from somewhere like California. Do you have a local breeder that you got them from?

I hope you don't mind all of the questions!!!!
Hi, I don’t mind the questions at all! It’s definitely not as tannin-rich as some tanks but yes, it is my attempt at a black water set up!!I’m not at home right now but I’ll post the water parameters when I can test the water. That being said, the Edith’s seem to be one of the more forgiving species when it comes to the parameters.

And as for where I got them, a LFS carried them! I hate the thought of ordering fish online too (too many “what if’s” for me!) so I jumped at the opportunity, especially with them being mouthbrooders; there is just something so charming about their giant heads. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to ask your LFSs if they ever consider wilds or would consider doing so.

Thanks for the questions!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good luck!! I just have one question if you don’t mind me asking: the stripes on betta splendens are bad meaning they are stressed. Is it the same for Betta Edithae?
It depends on the species but with Edith’s the stripes are a good sign and their version of colored up— when colored down, they’re just a light brown.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I checked on them today and when I fed them, the male that is currently holding did not feed so I guess he might be a decent father ! He might end up swallowing but so far, so good. I know that I could take him out and put him in a breeding tank but since breeding them wasn’t the goal (just got lucky), I’m leaving him in.

Organism Grass Aquatic plant Terrestrial plant Plant

Here he is holding the eggs today, I apologize for the bad photo.

And it seems like the female is eggy again. Oh boy. And she is following another male around and chasing away the sparkling gouramis… I fear that I may be overrun with Edith’s Bettas soon… I really hope people locally enjoy blackwater tanks and wild bettas otherwise it may be time for me to learn how to ship fish 😅

Here’s a photo of the female watching me and daring me to get any closer to the male she wants to be baby daddy #2 🙄

Wood Plant Automotive tire Twig Trunk

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I’m going to need to upgrade the tank… time to look for room for that, oops. Hopefully that will give the males more room to escape her. Thankfully they all seem content, though I have a spare 10 that I might set up to keep her away from the boys for a bit so she doesn’t heckle them and make them go from brood to brood.

·
Registered
Flash
416 Posts
This is such the opposite situation than you find with most other fish!!! Usually it's the other way around with the males chasing down females and giving them no rest at all!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts