Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I bought two bettas today from my local pet store, one male and one female. When I bought the female, I noticed her stomach was swollen and with more research figured out that she was egg bound and that her reproductive organ was visible though she is not yet showing signs of being ready to release her eggs. She is in a divided tank with my male betta. Is there anything I can do to encourage reproduction, prompt my male to make a bubble nest, help my female better etc. If anybody has any tips/pointers/answers to my questions it would be greatly appreciated!! I’ve also attached a photo of the male and the female in case having a picture can help with any details or anything like that. Thanks!! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I have never bred bettas, but before you do it, make sure you are ready and committed to raising dozens of babies and finding them homes. You will need a breeding tank, separate tanks for the parents, possibly a grow out tank, cycled sponge filters, baby brine shrimp or other small live foods, cups for jarring males, and a lot of time for changing the water.
Here is something I have experience with: a divided tank with a male and female betta. I am going to say that it didn't turn out well since my male decided to join my female in hopes of breeding. I do not know of a single person that has made this work. The only reason I did it was because I thought they were both male (one was a baby). You never want to put a male and female in the same tank (divided or not) unless you are planning on breeding because it can make them go crazy wanting to breed and not being able to.
Also, I don't think your girl looks that big belly wise. My girl is much bigger.

On your male, is that a large wound on his back?

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I've made a divided sorority work with two males, but all my females eventually died to dropsy and/or being egg bound. I would not recommend a divided tank between two genders.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
She migh not be egg bound, she could be bloated or have the start of dropsy. But the best bet is to get her away from the male and fast her for a few days while treating her with Epsom salt

Never breed bettas without TONS of research and preparation or you could end up with a dead fish

·
Super Moderator
6,640 Posts
Isolate reluctant individuals. For some reason, aggressive induces breeding. Don't worry about bubble nests or "eggbound" (females always carry eggs) If both are showing flirting signs, they will breed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts