Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got this beautiful crown tail female betta from the pet store last night. I got her because i felt her web reduction/ray branching was very even and i liked that she had no color. I acclimated her in my 20g for 20 min and made sure she got on well with the other fish. All was well... key word: WAS. I was watching my fish today and noticed she was VERY plump. Like uncofortably bulky plump. At first I thought it might be bloating so i netted her and looked for any pineconing. Nothing. Then i looked a little closer and noticed sbe had a white triangle at the back of her stomach leading into her tail and it seems internal to me. It kinda looks like a bunch of little white balls and i was thinking she might be egg bound. What should I do? I have a male whos ready to breed if that would help. Im jusy nervous about that since I got her yesterday so shes stressed and unconditioned. Any help is apreciated.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 20
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-82 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? Yes What kind? Platys, guppies, two other bettas

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega 1 and flakes from LFS
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? Once or twice a day How much? One large pinch for the whole tank, its usually finished in about a minute or less

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Just got her, did a water change yesterday
What percentage of water did you change? 25-50%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip, i am planning on vaccuming today
What additives do you use? Rooibos tea What brand of conditioner? Prime

Water Parameters: im not sure, ill try to bring a sample to the pet store sometime today or tommorrow
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:?
Nitrite:?
Nitrate:?
pH:?
Hardness (GH):?
Alkalinity (KH):?

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Very bloated, white triangle in stomach
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not sure, dont know her usual behavior
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? No If so, how? N/A
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not sure
How long have you owned your Betta? Less than 24 hours
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Probably, didnt notice it when i got her though
20190824_111537_1566668746606.jpg

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put her in with a male and it looks like shes already getting a LOT better now. She still looks a little egg bound so im gonna keep her in there but hopefully shes fine now...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well theres no more signs of being egg bound anymore. I put her back in her tank last night and so,far alls well. I do wish I couldve gotten some help and guidance on how to help her but im glad it seems i made the right choice in putting her in a tank with a male.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am glad she appears to be alright! I would really recommend quarantine in the future for any new fish, because sometimes they are ill and we do not see it! If you do not have a liquid test kit for the water, I highly recommend the API freshwater master test kit. Testing the water is really important to be sure the parameters are where they should be.

I would also recommend getting a filter for the 20 gallon. It will help to keep the tank clean and give water circulation to help add oxygen for the fish.

Do you have the tank heavily planted with live plants? :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice! How long would you reccommend for qt? I had the water tested yesterday but I dont remmember the exact parameters he told me. It was all ok save for the ph being a bit high. The tank was planted however most of tbe plants died so its not at the moment. I am in the process of getting more plants for it now. 🙂

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would recommend 4-5 weeks for quarantine . When buying fish, pay attention to their breathing, sometimes heavily breathing fish can actually be sick, but otherwise appear healthy. Pay close attention to the other fish in the tank, If others are sick/dead do not buy any as the water typically is all going through one system.

For bettas if the majority are sick there is a good chance the one your looking at is as well, because they use the same equipment when cleaning out each cup typically.

Another thing you must do is set up the QT tank with all the proper equipment and cycle it like any other tank. Healthy fish that are put in a cold, bare, unfiltered, uncycled QT tank will be stressed and may get sick. That is why the tank must be setup correctly.

I highly suggest you get the liquid master test kit, as strip tests ( what pet stores use) are not as accurate.

It is important to get your tank heavily planted with plants that go all the way to the top for the females. Since it would be best to QT any new plants you can always use tall silk/ non sharp plastic plants until you can put the live ones in.

What are the names of your fish? :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
The same thing happened to my female-although at the time I was confused because she still was pretty young (I got her as a 'baby betta' around six weeks...she seemed fine one day, the next she was struggling to swim and extremely bloated, just like yours in the picture. I was not prepared to breed her so I left her; experimenting with different foods/daily water changes etc. ect. My water parameters were fine, temperature stable, I had plants...but she still died; :( I hope the same thing doesn't happen to your female!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Animal15:
Thankyouthankyouthankyou for that its very helpful info. The betta was in a community tank at the store and they all looked healthy but i agree i should qt in the future since you really never know. I havent come up with a name quite yes since shes new but im thinking itll prolly be Snowball since shes white and really little and SO FRICKIN CUTE!❤😂

Grre:
Sorry to hear about your betta! Im sure you did the best you could for her. It is strange for such a young betta!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to update: snowball is back in her usual tank and is doing well! She hasnt shown any more signs of illness and seems to be completely acclimated to her new home. I have no problem getting her to eat and her prior signs of illness are gone. Thank for everyones help!

·
Super Moderator
18,374 Posts
Glad she is doing better. But do remember 24 hours is not a long time to wait for a response; especially on a weekend. And, we are one of the few forums or groups of which I am aware where people do not guess. They stay quiet instead of giving bad advice...especially in this section. You wouldn't believe some of the advice I've seen on FB groups. :-(

If you are going to quarantine, quarantine for six weeks. Many issues (like Ich) only take 10 days to manifest when a fish is put under stress; others (like parasites) can take a few weeks.

Bit of blunt but well-meaning advice: As you are breeding your Betta spend some money to get a liquid test kit; don't depend on remembering what a store employee told you. IMO, having multiple Betta without one is bordering on irresponsible; especially when you have spawns to raise or a sorority. Testing frequently gives you more of a chance for successful spawns. Which I hope you have so you can share photos and make a spawn log.

I use both and have never found test strips to be less accurate than the liquid tests when testing the same water. :dunno: However, like Animal15, I think liquid test kits are the best option because they give you more bang for the buck.

PS: Was in CO last week. Gorgeous state. Always love our travels on the back roads of that part of the country. We spent most of the time in MT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts