Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is try number 4, but this round with another pair. My Koi Halfmoon pair would lay eggs and the male tended them, but nothing ever hatched. This time I gave my black butterfly marble pair a chance. There are plenty of eggs. The bubble nest is not very big, but dad is watching the eggs and picking up and putting back. Keeping my fingers crossed. He seems kind of tired already. Hope he'll be able to keep it up. Loo
IMG_20210717_124420.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,273 Posts
No fry because male ate eggs or they didn't hatch?

Some males will tend to eggs on day one. But will eat them the next day or so . . . Don't know why.

It is believed that males will eat unfertilised eggs. However, when I artificially hatched them most hatched. So in my experience, some males are simply not good parents.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my suspicion, too, that they might not be fertilized. The Koi male tended them for a good 24 hours and then just didn't care anymore. Lets hope the marble boy does better.

·
Super Moderator
6,273 Posts
If eggs were fertilised and no mold, they should hatch, regardless if male tends to them or not. If male stops caring for eggs but didn't eat them, remove male and wait until hatch schedule. If lucky, some may still hatch.

Good luck with the marble male. Hope he does better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a tank full of bouncers! I removed the male this morning and now I am hoping the babies will make it through the first phase OK. Fingers crossed!

·
Super Moderator
6,273 Posts
Next time remove male after fry are free swimming - fry no longer swim in a spiral motion. Usually about 3 days after hatching

Congrats!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts