Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I noticed a huge overpowering smell to one my bettas tanks, Donny's and a small smell of it onto my other tank, Atlas.

I was wondering what is the sulfur smell from and what is something I can do? I googled and it seems I have too much bacteria in the tank..?

For both tanks, since I came back to the University I have done like a 25% water change every 2 days for both tanks.

Both tanks get water conditioner, prime and aq salt.

Both tanks are heated and have a filter.

I am tempted to clean out their tank entirely and place them in a fresh clean environment.

I also noticed (possibly) on my orange fish, Donny that I am MAYBE seeing white fuzz on the tip of his fins?

Pictures to come...

Please any help/advice is dear, these fish mean the world to me.

~Thanks

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would clean the filters. Get some tank water in a bucket and swish the filter media. I would also vacuum clean the tank with an airline tubing. It might help.
I felt uncomfortable with going to bed without doing anything. So I did that. I did a 100% water change and cleaned the media and gravel.

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Do you have carbon cartridges/pads in the filters? If so, it might be because of the media being too old. I don't use carbon cartridges myself, but I know they need to be changed regularly. They will become rather harmful once they absorb certain amount of chlorine.

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have carbon cartridges/pads in the filters? If so, it might be because of the media being too old. I don't use carbon cartridges myself, but I know they need to be changed regularly. They will become rather harmful once they absorb certain amount of chlorine.
I personally have no idea, but i believe no. I have a Bettta Bow 2.5 gallon. Before i came to the university i changed his filter

· Registered
230 Posts
That smell means you have a serious water bacteria buildup. ryry2012 was right about asking you to clean the filters and clean the tank. Scrub everything down, making sure to mix your gravel well. ((normally a lot of the bacteria bloom will come from your gravel)) If you did that that and a water change, you should be noticing improvements soon. As for your fish, it's possible get got a bacteria infection from that water. Keep an eye on him and if you can add some indian almond leaf to his tank. If he gets worse you will probably have to get some medications for him.

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That smell means you have a serious water bacteria buildup. ryry2012 was right about asking you to clean the filters and clean the tank. Scrub everything down, making sure to mix your gravel well. ((normally a lot of the bacteria bloom will come from your gravel)) If you did that and a water change, you should be noticing improvements soon. As for your fish, it's possible to get got a bacteria infection from that water. Keep an eye on him and if you can add some Indian almond leaf to his tank. If he gets worse you will probably have to get some medications for him.
Yes I cleaned his tank and he is a little huffy puffy but I think he is going to be okay now..

I am going to clean my other fish's tank, and hopefully, both of them will be happy campers again.

I always have several issues with the water source here at the university. Back at home, it's city water, and that's better than the good "well" water source here.

· Registered
811 Posts
Do you have any decorations (besides live plants) in your tank? It is typically a more paint-like smell, but there could be an ornament leeching chemicals into the tank. I had it happen with some fake rock I got at Walmart.

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have any decorations (besides live plants) in your tank? It is typically a more paint-like smell, but there could be an ornament leeching chemicals into the tank. I had it happen with some fake rock I got at Walmart.
I had like a small little cave but when I changed the tank I took it out and placed in a little submarine.

I have one live plant in there and two silk plants.

My other tank has no cave but two live plants and 2 silk plants

· Registered
811 Posts
I assume you have the orangeish submarine (I think it was orange) that's glossy. I haven't heard of any problems with that one, so I wouldn't worry about that then.

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I assume you have the orangeish submarine (I think it was orange) that's glossy. I haven't heard of any problems with that one, so I wouldn't worry about that then.
I have the yellow and blue submarine from like petsmart

I changed both tanks and I am noticing a big change already and Donny is being himself slowly again..

· Registered
3,613 Posts
That'd be what's doing it. Take the sub and cave out. Use just plants or driftwood. (Spiderwood, Mopani, etc.)

Also, why are you using water conditioner and Prime? You only need to use Prime at 2 drops per gallon. Also, you should only use Aq. Salt to treat injuries. I believe that you shouldn't keep it with the fish all the time.

Sorry to sound nitpicky.

Yes, the Aqueon MiniBows have carbon-based filters. They *should* be changed when they start falling apart. Cut a piece of the old media and lay it under the new stuff.

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That'd be what's doing it. Take the sub and cave out. Use just plants or driftwood. (Spiderwood, Mopani, etc.)

Also, why are you using water conditioner and Prime? You only need to use Prime at 2 drops per gallon. Also, you should only use Aq. Salt to treat injuries. I believe that you shouldn't keep it with the fish all the time.

Sorry to sound nitpicky.

Yes, the Aqueon MiniBows have carbon-based filters. They *should* be changed when they start falling apart. Cut a piece of the old media and lay it under the new stuff.
Well both filters seem to be fine actually, Atlas's one may need a change soon but I am currently by no petsmart/petco but theres a pet store. I doubt it however if they the filters needed.

I will take out the submarine then, aha

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Donny looks and seems to be better, he doesn't eat much...only one pellet. But I try to play with them by placing objects in front of their tank and watching him do the flare dance.

I ordered new filter cartridges online, so when they come I will replace both of them.

· Registered
1,815 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can replace the cartridge with sponge and bio-rings so hat you don't need to replace anymore. You can clean the sponges with tank water in a bucket when you do water change, once a month. or so.

I don't know how much room your filters have. These are small. They might be able to fit in them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002563WW/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049RNW96/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How do these benefit for the tank?

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Filter media is where most of good bacteria live once the tank is cycled. Throwing away the media equal throw them away.

It is also more cost effective. You almost never have to change them.

Oooo ok. That makes sense. Well the next time I will do this but i ordered those filters so I'll just use those

But thank you!:grin2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.