Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
No. Too much food.

A fish is not a mammal. We need to eat 5-6 times a day to keep our body going. A big fish like sharks can go months without a meal. A betta can go up to two weeks without an issue.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Slow release blocks aren't recommended. Extremely unreliable and can foul the water quickly. I found a fish feeder (the Fish Mate F14 Feeder) that allows you to determine the portions you feed your fish every day, which I think is amazing for bettas. You can even skip every other day or so if you want to minimize waste/ammonia buildup.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Eheim it did not work well with pellets way to much comes out. I got the one from Zoo Med for Bettas and it works pretty good gives between 3 to 7 pellets and only feeds once a day.

Automatic Daily Betta Feeder:
  • Automatically feeds your Betta once a day.
  • Great for scheduled feeding times or vacations!
  • Mounts directly to the side of tank, or use enclosed rail kit for round Betta bowls or other tanks.
  • Uses one AA size battery (Battery included).
  • Use with Zoo Med's Micro Floating Betta Pellet. (Includes sample food and conditioner)
Additional Information:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I considered the Bettamatic as well, but ended up not getting it because of a lot of mixed reviews (http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Betta...TF8&qid=1342808216&sr=8-1&keywords=bettamatic). The biggest problem, however, was that if it did feed 4-5 pellets a day, that would lead to a buildup of waste, which would require someone to do water changes if the vacation was long enough. And if you aren't gone long enough to require a water change, you probably can just leave the fish unfed in the first place. If you have someone capable of doing water changes for you during your vacation, I don't see the point of getting an automatic feeder (they can just stop by and feed). Again, the problem of "overfeeding" (not really overfeeding, but you get the point).

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't have anything against it - I'm sure it's fine for feeding and everything. I just meant, if a betta eats 7 pellets every day, he'll need a water change at least every week. This is simply not possible if a person is gone for a week+ long vacation and has no one to perform the water change. The fish then runs the risk of a high ammonia buildup/spike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have anything against it - I'm sure it's fine for feeding and everything. I just meant, if a betta eats 7 pellets every day, he'll need a water change at least every week. This is simply not possible if a person is gone for a week+ long vacation and has no one to perform the water change. The fish then runs the risk of a high ammonia buildup/spike.
But what if the person's fish is living in a 5 gal tank that is cycled? Surely you wouldn't need to change the water as often as every week besides a PWC... & that could be done a week or two later when they return home, right???

ON ANOTHER NOTE: It's the 3rd week & I'm leaving in 3 days... They tank's not fully cycled yet... Good god what am I going to do?!

·
Registered
117 Posts
In a cycled 5 gallon, you should do water changes (not 100% necessarily, but a water change nevertheless) weekly at least. If it's one week, you could do a big water change before leaving, then do one when you get back. Not sure if there would be any ammonia spikes/anything in that time. If it's two weeks and you have the betta fed ~5 pellets a day, I feel like there might be some water quality issues without a water change inbetween that period.

I think the best course to go is just to not feed the fish during the vacation. A healthy adult betta can go 1-2 weeks without food. Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about water quality issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts