Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 2 days of research / reading every review I can find for various heaters.
I recently purchased the 50w Eheim heater for my 6 gallon tank.

I used to use 25w Hydors (3), all three malfunctioned by overheating the tank (I feel very fortunate not to have lost a fish from this and have decided not to test my luck a 4th time)
and the 25w Marina heaters (2) had condensation / full on water getting into the glass heater kind of issues. + never really liked how there was no temperature dial / ticks

Im a little concerned with the height of the Eheim heater since I will be working with ~9'' of space in the tank without touching substrate. ( My tank is 11.5'' all around with ~2'' substrate) but other than this, it seems to have decent reviews.

I would love to hear anyone's experience with the Eheim heaters and/or any suggestions for heaters in general,
Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love my Eheim Jager heater and have been a fan for years. I use a 75 watt in a 10 gallon tank. They're the most reliable and accurate of all the heaters I've ever owned and the only brand I will ever purchase in the future. I'm sure you'll be pleased with your purchase too! :)

One thing I have noticed about the Eheim Jagers is that they're longer that other heaters, but I like to place my heaters horizontally to better hide them behind plants so their length isn't really an issue.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I set my heaters horizontally, as well. And definitely prefer Eheim.

One thing you should know: Most of the time it is the thermometer that is inaccurate and not the heater. I use a meat thermometer.

I tested four aquariums with Hydor heaters set at 78. The digital thermometers read 75/80/82. The food thermometer read 77/78/78. I learned this when I was reading heater reviews. At least two pointed out the inaccuracy of thermometer. All suggested to invest in a food thermometer...much less expensive than constantly replacing heaters.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love my Eheim Jager heater and have been a fan for years. I use a 75 watt in a 10 gallon tank. They're the most reliable and accurate of all the heaters I've ever owned and the only brand I will ever purchase in the future. I'm sure you'll be pleased with your purchase too! :)

One thing I have noticed about the Eheim Jagers is that they're longer that other heaters, but I like to place my heaters horizontally to better hide them behind plants so their length isn't really an issue.
Thanks!
Ive been considering placing this heater horizontally at the bottom this time around too because of the longer shape of the heater,

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I set my heaters horizontally, as well. And definitely prefer Eheim.

One thing you should know: Most of the time it is the thermometer that is inaccurate and not the heater. I use a meat thermometer.

I tested four aquariums with Hydor heaters set at 78. The digital thermometers read 75/80/82. The food thermometer read 77/78/78. I learned this when I was reading heater reviews. At least two pointed out the inaccuracy of thermometer. All suggested to invest in a food thermometer...much less expensive than constantly replacing heaters.
Thank you!
For whatever reason, I feel especially paranoid about heater malfunctions this time around. I made sure to have two different kinds of thermometers to help me regulate the temp of the water + check on the heater,
( 1 typical hook on the side thermometer from a pet store, and 1 kitchen/meat thermometer! )

Im hoping i wont have to replace this one, but have also started looking into / saving up for a Cobalt neotherm which i also heard good reviews on, but isnt within my budget right now as plants are expensive 💸💸

·
Banned
Bettas: Strider, Smauge, Val, Kumar, Lady, Cookies, Donatella, Nerissa, and Tabitha. L Gecko: George
417 Posts
I just bought the $15 2-10 gallon heaters at Walmart for my betta tanks LOL. I've have 2 and they are 4 years old and still running just like new!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts