Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am very worried, I have had my betta for a couple months now, up until yesterday he seemed healthy and happy and his fins were very nice, he loved swimming a lot from side to side on the tank, he is a very aggressive eater and loves eating a lot, I test the water regularly and ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates are about 10ppm. yesterday when I came from home and saw him he looked horrible. his fins were all destroyed, he wasn't swimming he just moved his side fins a little, he was pale and he was just like frozen and wouldn't eat, I panicked and immediately moved him to a 10 gallon tank I had, I put a heater but not a filter since I wanted to use medicine, so I moved a couple things from the 29 to the 10 gallon so it wouldn't be too empty I added some melafix following the instructions and also added some aquarium salt in case it was fin rot which i doubt, today I checked on him again and he looks worse, his fins look like they are dying, he is not eating, and he is not moving his body, he barely lots up and down, I don't know what to do, I don't know what could have caused such damage in less than 24 hours, how he could go from perfect and happy, so sick, and his color seems to be very pale from half his body down to a not such pale in the front part of his body, attached are some pictures of how he is now and an old picture but shows how he was before yesterday and the tank he was in. any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 29 gallons
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes a tube that give a line of bubbles
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 9 neon tetras and 2 mystery snails

Food:
What food brand do you use? National Geographic
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? once a day about 6-8 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum
What additives do you use? Prime dechorinator

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.5
Hardness (GH): idk
Alkalinity (KH): idk

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? yesterday afternoon
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? drastically, fins torned, 2 tone pale
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? doesn't swim or eat
Is your Betta still eating? no
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? moved to 10 gal, added melafix and aquarium salt
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? about 2 months from pet store.

IMG_4465.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4936.jpg

IMG_4937.jpg

IMG_4938.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
19,227 Posts
Neons are extremely nippy fish. It could be that they are the culprits and stressed him out. If those are fake plants have you done the hose test to check for sharp edges? If the hose snag then so, too, will a Betta's fins.

I would keep him in the 10. After two months I doubt it was the filters; but it could be as Fishybitty suggested, too.

Get some Indian Almond Leaves or Alder Cones. They have a soothing effect and at least the Alder Cones also have a mild anti-bacterial agent.

If you put him back in the 29 you will need to invest in a lot more plants.

Good luck with your boy.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I agree with the great advice you're getting here, and will add: Get Kordon Fish Protector. It is herbal, it has echinacea in it, it repairs tissue, boosts immunity, resolves clamped fin, reduces stress. Just a little as it gives a nice slime coat easily. Sending positive thoughts your way today. Keep the faith.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts