Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks I just got back from college, my mums been taking care of my betta's
My male is 2.5 -3 YEARS OF AGE
Currently in a 3.5 gallon tank
He is eating
She's changed him once a week (even though I prefer two since hes in a 3.5)
The water has been treated per usual
He is active and not clamped up at all. The loss of coloration is on his fins as well. He isn't resting on the buttom or anything he's quite active.

I will check water parameters and post them along with more pictures.

-could it be loss of color
-burns? (as i said ill post water parameters ASAP)
- disease??

Right now his color has faded on both sides from his fins up, that isnt screen glare, hes white now
And I don't know how long he's been this way since my mom doesn't pay attention to his appearance this could have been forever.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
how often does it change, if not at all, it's not ick. Does you fish breathe abnormally? Is he exhibiting odd swimming patterns? Is it scratching its body objects in the tank? Are its gills partially opening at all times? It is floating with clamped fins? Or do the gills appear to be red and pumping fast? If he does any of these it's likely to be gill parasites. If it's not gill parasites he could just be constipated, and if he is constipated fast him for 2-4 days and feed him peas after.If it's not that he is likely to just be stressed, and if it's that just pay more attention.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how often does it change, if not at all, it's not ick. Does you fish breathe abnormally? Is he exhibiting odd swimming patterns? Is it scratching its body objects in the tank? Are its gills partially opening at all times? It is floating with clamped fins? Or do the gills appear to be red and pumping fast? If he does any of these it's likely to be gill parasites. If it's not gill parasites he could just be constipated, and if he is constipated fast him for 2-4 days and feed him peas after.If it's not that he is likely to just be stressed, and if it's that just pay more attention.
He displays normal behaviour, gil movement, fin positions and activity levels.
He isn't bloated at all but I'm thinking of fasting him for a few days anyways just in case since my mother has a tendency to over feed.
But that wouldn't make him change color in just that area would it?

I've seen him change color due to stress before and this definitely isn't how he normally changes under stress.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Do you have a picture of him before he started to pale?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a picture of him before he started to pale?

Today he is whiter and acting a bit more sluggish when sleeping and by that I mean hes sleeping up in the plants by the surface instead of in his normal hidey holes.
Im doing a water change today just because Im worried.
I did water testing last night and the PH's were both fine but the KH was high.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
We need more parameters than pH and KH.

Do you know the ammonia and nitrite readings for your tank?

Have you got a better photo of the actual colour change? It's quite difficult to see in the first picture.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Well if your nitrite is at .5pmm I would do an immediate water change (and probably quite a large one at that). Anything over 0ppm can be potentially harmful, and because you have no idea what your ammonia levels are, a water change would be my first course of action.

Because he is most likely stressed and potentially sick, if you do a large water change, I would be careful to properly acclimatise him to the changed water conditions. Floating him around in a cup or plastic container, and slowly adding water from the tank to it, is probably the easiest way of doing so.

That colour change is strange. I really don't know what could be causing it. Could be something as benign as marbling or something more serious. Hopefully another member knows what that is because I don't.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well if your nitrite is at .5pmm I would do an immediate water change (and probably quite a large one at that). Anything over 0ppm can be potentially harmful, and because you have no idea what your ammonia levels are, a water change would be my first course of action.

Because he is most likely stressed and potentially sick, if you do a large water change, I would be careful to properly acclimatise him to the changed water conditions. Floating him around in a cup or plastic container, and slowly adding water from the tank to it, is probably the easiest way of doing so.

That colour change is strange. I really don't know what could be causing it. Could be something as benign as marbling or something more serious. Hopefully another member knows what that is because I don't.
I'm doing a water change right now XD. I saw him last night and wigged out a bit. Its more disturbing I don't know how long he's been losing colour: if it's been rapid or if it's been slowly going!
My mom didn't notice it but she admitted she didn't really pay attention.
I was worried it may be the heater leaking but I can't smell anything and there isn't residue on top.

Do you think I should mix some AQ salt in with his new water?

·
Registered
63 Posts
he is constipated, discoloration is one of the symptoms. Have you feed him a pea or a salt bath I heard that works too. (sorry for the wait)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If he isn't bloated and has no signs of SBD then I don't think he's constipated... Could he just be old? When one of my fish was getting near the end of his life, he started doing some weird stuff. Turned a lot darker and overproduced slime coat. No other signs of illness; he was happy and eating. Died sleeping in his little cave two days later at 3 yrs old.

I know that's morbid but if your fish is old, that could be what it is.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That is definitely a strange color change. It's not fading like you would see in bettas that are in poor health, it looks like straight up loss of pigmentation. Besides that, if you compare his fins from his old photo to the new one it appears he might have some mild fin rot. Not sure though, perhaps his fins are just folded over in the most recent picture. Anyways the remedy for that would just be more frequent water changes. Has he ever changed color before?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He's always had fin rot looking fins, Im not sure why but they've always looked that way even when I do the best upkeep humanly possible.
He has changed color before, when I first got him he was completely brown but thats when I first got him.
Im hoping if anything it is old age! Though I was so excited to get him into his ten gallon kingdom and start a planted palace for him but I dont want to stress his little system anymore than it is!
After the water change he seems to be a bit perkier, not bloated good appetite , energetic, sleeping in his cave again and not at the top.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
have you still tried a salt bath
No I did not put any AQ salt into his last change,I can add some next time I do a water change however if you think that'll help him out!!

Hes definitely active though hes even waiting for me in the morning to feed him, so thats a plus. Hopefully I'll get the chance to transfer his sister from her big tank to the 10 gal and then have him in the bigger tank!
Maybe it is just old age?

Not that Im happy he's getting old hes my baby BUT it would be better than him being sick and suffering!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts