Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently bought an African Dwarf Frog from PetSmart because I read he might be a good tankmate to my veiltale betta. I did not pay attention to the ADF, but noticed that he was pretty pale and not very active. I put him in the same 1 1/2 gallon tank with my betta. The next day, the frog kept floating to the top, and not moving much. He also did not eat any food. The following day, he was dead. I pulled him out of the tank, but unfortunately did not change the tank's water until 8 hrs later. I noticed this morning (day 3) that my betta is not as active, his color is fading, and he is breathing hard. He did not want to eat, when he usually eats like a pig. His eyes are also silver, and slightly protruded. Hopefully it is not too late to save him. I am currently at work, but am planning to treat him as soon as I get home. I just want to make sure I get the right diagnosis because there are so many different treatments. I was thinking of getting melafix and pimafix, but one treats bacterial and the other fungal. Not sure if I should get an anti-parasitic for possible velvet? PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. The eyes are not super popped out, but they look weird and have a silver outline. I believe it was some infection contracted from the ADF bc he was fine before

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 -82
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Lived with African Dwarf Frog for 2 days. ADF died after 2 days- looked pale and was lethargic. Floating to the top, and did not eat

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, 4 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 65%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?His skin
Looks discolored. His eyes have a silver outline. He's been very lethargic and not eating. He appears to be breathing hard. Symptoms started late yesterday, after ADF died.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
I don't recommend you try to house your fish with a tankmate in that tank. Also, for your tank you should be doing water changes every 2 - 3 days. The most likely explanation is that your tank experience an ammonia spike after adding the frog.

Start with a 100% water change and acclimatize him and add him back to the tank. If his eyes are starting to pop out, we could start conservatively by adding 1.5 tsp of Epsom salt.

Look around and see where and what antibiotics you can get, but don't jump on that yet, it's probably not going to be necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I definitely will not putting in any new tank mates after this scare. I read that I should add 2 drops of novaqua, 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt and 1 drop of aquarisol to a water gallon and use that water. I will try this before using any other remedies. Hopefully it works

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Your water change schedule was the problem. Personally, I do not keep bettas in any tank that is smaller than 2.5 gallons.

With a 1.5 gallon tank you need to do 100% water changes every other day.

Also Bettas NEED a heater. There is no discussion about this unless you live in a climate where it is at least 90+ every day (EVEN at night). Bettas are tropical fish and need water that is 78-80 to remain healthy.

Also, You cannot have tank mates in a tank that size. Also ADF need a fully cycled aquarium.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Ummm, @vivian, she/he said that the water is always 78-80! You must not have read that... But I do agree with you that the water change schedule was the problem. A schedual like that is more appropriate for a cycled, filtered 2.5 gallon, not a 1.5 gallon without a filter.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
A heater is still required regardless of what temperature the OP said that water was at. The only reason you wouldn't need a heater is if you lived in a tropical climate where the temperature was never below 85 degree (even at night). Temperature changes are just as bad as cold water.

Actually a 2.5 gallon needs two water changes a week. Once a week water changes are only appropriate for 5 gallon tanks and up.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Wait, is it 85 up?!?!? What is going on here with all the CONTROVERSY???? Almost every site thinks it is somewhere between 75 to 82, the average being generally 78 to 82. Why is 85 & up the right temperature in your mind? (I'm not trying to prove you wrong here, just not sure what point you have in that higher, where people SAY that it's dangerous temp. is better!)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Viv's not wrong. Bettas are a tropical fish. Air temperature is different than water temperature. It's a few degrees cooler. In Thailand, the temp stays 85 and above year round. So your water temp. should mimic that. 78-82 is right where you want to be, without fluctuation. I keep a constant water temp. of 80 degrees even know my room temp. here in Philadelphia is between 68-74.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
No your betta will not die in warmer water. My bettas have been in 86 degree water and never had an issue. My apartment gets very warm during the summer when I am not in it and I don't leave the AC on when i'm not in my apartment.

And yes, water temperature is different than air temperature. Water is generally a bit colder. Also your house/apartment will most likely be colder (in warm weather) then the outside air due to fans or AC. The major issue is that at night the temperature drops like crazy and then warms up again. Thats why a heater is always required. Even in my summer, the air temperature can get down to the low 70s at night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.