Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently bought an African Dwarf Frog from PetSmart because I read he might be a good tankmate to my veiltale betta. I did not pay attention to the ADF, but noticed that he was pretty pale and not very active. I put him in the same 1 1/2 gallon tank with my betta. The next day, the frog kept floating to the top, and not moving much. He also did not eat any food. The following day, he was dead. I pulled him out of the tank, but unfortunately did not change the tank's water until 8 hrs later. I noticed this morning (day 3) that my betta is not as active, his color is fading, and he is breathing hard. He did not want to eat, when he usually eats like a pig. His eyes are also silver, and slightly protruded. Hopefully it is not too late to save him. I am currently at work, but am planning to treat him as soon as I get home. I just want to make sure I get the right diagnosis because there are so many different treatments. I was thinking of getting melafix and pimafix, but one treats bacterial and the other fungal. Not sure if I should get an anti-parasitic for possible velvet? PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. The eyes are not super popped out, but they look weird and have a silver outline. I believe it was some infection contracted from the ADF bc he was fine before

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 -82
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Lived with African Dwarf Frog for 2 days. ADF died after 2 days- looked pale and was lethargic. Floating to the top, and did not eat

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, 4 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 65%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?His skin
Looks discolored. His eyes have a silver outline. He's been very lethargic and not eating. He appears to be breathing hard. Symptoms started late yesterday, after ADF died.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I definitely will not putting in any new tank mates after this scare. I read that I should add 2 drops of novaqua, 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt and 1 drop of aquarisol to a water gallon and use that water. I will try this before using any other remedies. Hopefully it works

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.