Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Better than mine, GT, she does nothing but run now... They were both happy flirting when she was in her vase in the tank. He was even working on a small bubblenest. Now all she does is run, and all he does is gently chase and flare, not a nest in sight.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Good luck GT here is hoping.
My pair continue the chase and brake thing. Then the male swims to his spot in the plants... and blows a bubble or two then ignores the starting nest -__-
She just ignores him except to run...

·
Registered
669 Posts
I used a mixture of live black worms, frozen blood worms, and pellets, 3 times a day. For the last two days I didn't let them see other bettas, except each other for 5 minutes a day. (I half forgot about this step). I then placed him in the tank, and her in the tank in her vase for over night. He flirted with her, and blew a few bubbles, flirted, few bubbles, etc. She danced back at him so this midmorning I released her into the tank. He is being very gentle with her. No nipping, just flaring and chasing. She just runs. He takes breaks to go blow a bubble or two and to rest, then it repeats.
By the time he goes back to blow another bubbles the others have popped.

Should I leave them over night? Or should I pull them? Recondition them, or use my next pair?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Okay, well he was blowing some bubbles for her. I have read of others who have had males start majorly making the nest when the female was introduced.

The humidity is medium, I have a ton of plants and 3 IAL in the tank.
The male takes breaks an rests between the chases, but he seems fine. The female isn't even breathing hard. She doesn't even have a nip on her. As I said he is being beyond gentle with her.

I will begin to seriously condition my other two pairs. I have been only feeding them twice a day like I do all my bettas, just with the live food mix mentioned.

So I guess I will leave them over night to see what happens.

So my other two pair I am considering. Blue marble sibling pair. HM x HMPK (only problem is the female is in the sorority)
Also considering both mustard gas, male is emerald dragon HM the female is blackish CT.

Hey it may be a bit frustrating, but this is my first spawn and I am here to learn.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yeah I was thinking the sibling pair first.
I do plan on breed for awhile, and actually make it a small side business. I have several LPS/LFS in my area interested in my bettas, and of course there is AB, here and friends haha. I know that is not going to be all, I am well aware I will need to cull, and be ready to work hard with it :p

I am planning on doing the CT/HM cross at some point and am willing to work on the finnage. Take the best few pairs, cull the rest most likely, and sadly(but needed) Refine the fins. Its not often that one sees dragon scale mustard gas halfsuns.

·
Registered
669 Posts
They are both mustard gas, he isn't quite a full dragon. I can post some pictures of him if you like. I currently don't have good pictures of her.

·
Registered
669 Posts
So it looks like my male is finally getting around to bubblenesting some.
He has a few tiny nest blown in the area he is currently hanging out. So here is hoping he is learning and will get working on it. The female has found a nice hiding spot under the sponge filter.
I am going to bed, and will check on progress in the morning.

Indjo - thanks for the info, that was great to read. I am highly considering doing them as my next pair. How far down the generation line do you think it will it most likely take to get good halfsun stock?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well I was wrong about him being so gentle over night. Her anal fin is in shreds and the one side I can see at this point has a few scales missing.
I am trying a technique suggested, and am floating a second male in a cup in the tank. Seeing if he will make the main main get territorial and blow a nest. I will be removing the 2nd male in a few minutes. If this fails, and I do not see signs of any change in the breeding I will try another technique of placing a second female in the tank (in a cup) to make the first female "Jealous" see what happens.
If these fail I may consider removing them to recondition, and move on to my second prepared pair.

Now here is a question that I can't remember the answer to. Is there such a thing as the female being too small? I have two small females that are still fairly young say 4-5 months, they have had breeding bars since being next to any male, and are in fact eggy. Could a male say half again or so their size embrace them?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well the male in the cup technique seems to have worked o_O. He is focusing more on bubblenesting and less on chasing her now. Maybe just maybe this spawn will work after all. If she can start showing interest in him.

·
Registered
669 Posts
THEY EMBRACED!!!! I have eggs!

I had to do a surgical strike to remove my snails though, they were headed right for the spawn site @[email protected] Luckily my pair is so laid back and interested in each other that they didn't notice or care.

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hurray grats on your spawn BL2033. I will happily so a comparison with you. I have my heater set for 82 degrees, but it is very cold outside the house. Snow on the ground. My room sits at approx 74 do to space heater used to heat most my tanks (works wonderfully actually)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yay for all of us having success.

BL2033 - thats what I thought. I was looking at my MG CT girl and realized she is still quite small. When I bought her she was less than an inch and mislabled at a veil. Petco loves to mislabel and get tiny girls in.

Yep my pair are both HMPK and I think both are dragon too.

Grats GT on spawn btw

·
Registered
669 Posts
BL yeah I placed her about 3 months max, she was tiny, so is the other CT girl I got same day. So I do feed them both well, and both are in nice tanks. I will be feeding her more now.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well all my bettas are getting a mix of frozen bloodworms, and pellets, some including the two little girls get live black worms, all are in a min of a 1 gal do to space(which is about to expand and money(atm), all get frequent water changes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.