Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple of weeks the end of my betta's top fins have been going a plain white. I've put in a pretty ordinary picture showing the fins that are affected.

For the first 6 weeks or so after we got him I used bottled water to do water changes, however the last water change I did I used tap water.

The tap water in our area is quite basic; could this be causing the colour change?

His mood/appetite/behaviour/etc hasn't changed at all...just want to make sure there is nothing to worry about (hopefully) :lol:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm not an expert, so I don't know if anything is wrong or not, but if there is a large PH swing suddenly, that could stress him out. When I accidently shocked one of our bettas, it got stress stripes though, so I don't know what happened. I've heard knowledgeable people say that if your tap water's PH is 8.0 or above, you should either get a different source of water with a proper PH (about 7.0) or adjust your tap with PH down. The white may be his coloring, I don't know. As I said before, I'm not an expert. I hope an expert comes along to help you. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not an expert either, but have you noticed a difference in fin length? Myself, I can't really see anything in the picture. If shortening, you might think fin rot, which can look like black clumps, red edges, or melting white, as I understand it. If lengthening, then white tips likely represent fin growth.

Anyway, hopefully someone who knows more will come along.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts